S18 RSG

Wheel fitment question

Hi guys,

Finances have changed as of late, and therefore it seems I may be picking up my new wheels sooner than expected (like, next week).

Due to this sudden change, I've not really done too much research regarding wheel fitments, so thought I'd ask here (I did read something on the US forum, but wanted a more human response).

I'm looking at getting some 18x8.5s for the front, and 18x9.5s for the rear.

First question, would 235/40/18 be the ideal tyre size? Or maybe a wider rear tyre? I'm not sure what we can get away with without rubbing.

Seconding question, the wheels I'm getting have lots of options for offset, from memory, anything from 30 to 45 is available. Could anyone advise as to the ideal offset for each axle? The car will be lowered around 35-40mm for reference, and I would ideally like to achieve a nice, not too much poke, not too much tuck kind of stance.

Thanks in advance.

For this platform best tire setup handling wise is square one, not staggered. I'd also advise to not go for too wide wheels & tires if you are still with NA power, but i guess on that i'm too late. :)

The best advice I can offer is to go to an event and look at the various wheels, speak to the owners for info etc.... I have two sets of wheels ( 18×9.5 sq set up ) but knew exactly what I wanted to achieve.

If your ever near my location your welcome to pop in and I'll bolt a set on for you to gander at.

I have 9.5 all around and use a 255/35 tyre which fits really well

If it was me, I'd go 235/35 on the 8.5 and 255/35 on the 9.5

As for offset, around 40 is best for the 9.5 so you may want slightly lower (maybe a 35?) for the front

All depends on the look you want to achieve

I have 9.5 all around and use a 255/35 tyre which fits really well

If it was me, I'd go 235/35 on the 8.5 and 255/35 on the 9.5

As for offset, around 40 is best for the 9.5 so you may want slightly lower (maybe a 35?) for the front

All depends on the look you want to achieve

Cheers Smudge, that's exactly what I was after.

I only mentioned 235 all round as I wasn't sure what tyre we can get away with on the rear. I've read that 9.5" on the front causes some issue, but then Kevin proved me wrong on that.

Ideally, I want to achieve something along these lines (as these will be the same wheels I'm going for also) although I doubt I will go that low at the back or maybe a little lower at the front.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36325&stc=1&d=1367862361

You may want to put some camber bolts on the front with the 9.5. Got a spare set if you want them.

Camber bolts are definitely a top priority when the car gets lowered. I've read camber bolts and rear camber bushes are preferable (don't know if you have any input there).

If you have spare then yes, I would like them, thanks :) PM me details if you could.

Thanks again Smudge, perfect.

From that picture, if I go 255 with slightly less drop (maybe 35mm) and pick up some camber bushes to dial in some negative camber, I should be good with around a 35-40 offset?

I guess I could get 40 offset to be on the safe side, and then pick up some 3 or 5mm spacers if necessary.

Thanks again :)

9.5's won't fit on the front with the stock damper I don't think. My 9" wheels with an offset of 42 rubbed a tad, I couldn't fit a scredit card between the wheel/tyre and the strut.

9.5's won't fit on the front with the stock damper I don't think. My 9" wheels with an offset of 42 rubbed a tad, I couldn't fit a scredit card between the wheel/tyre and the strut.

Good point, nearly forgot about that!

Yeah, I had a feeling that was the case also. I'm thinking it may be best to go 8.5J all round just to be on the safe side. I'll go with a 35 offset, and if I need any more I'll just use spacers.

One advantage I didn't think about is the ability to rotate tyres/wheels across axles, which I've done on basically every car I've ever had.

Thanks for the advice guys.