S18 RSG

Hello from a field somewhere in Wales

Hi everyone.

I've already introduced myself by way of a few posts elsewhere, but figured I should officially say hi here also.

I'm Ross. I'm 24 and live in a small town around 20 miles away from Cardiff in South Wales. 

I recently picked up my red '62' plate GT86 after a few months of searching and deliberating, and so far couldn't be happier.

My car history started with a Peugeot 106 1.1 (for about a month), and then a typical Vauxhall Corsa.

With the "young driver" phase out of the way, I went into a Skoda Fabia VRS at 19, which I had running at stage 2, at around 190bhp and 300lb/ft of torque. While it was a monster, I had some serious bad luck with turbos. I blew the original turbo around 3 months after it was mapped, and then blew the upgraded turbo 3 weeks after it was fitted (due to it NOT being a brand new part, as specified). All these events put me off the car completely, so I sold it on and bought a 2010 Seat Ibiza Cupra.

As with the Fabia, the Ibiza was immediately mapped and taken to a safer version of stage 2 (with a full turbo back exhaust with sports cat and remap). The Ibiza dyno'd at 220hp and 240lb/ft of torque, and was a bit of an animal (it was nearly 100kg lighter than stock, and ran low 5's for 0-60 at GTI International).

Alas, after nearly 4 years of ownership and still loving the car, the time had come for a change. I test drove an E90 M3, a C63 AMG and a Lexus ISF before realising that I can't afford to run a 15mpg V8, so I started looking at the 370Z/G37S, and then even started looking at modern hot hatches (new Astra VXR and Megane 265) before realising that the answer was in front of me the whole time.

I originally saw a GT86 at Wilton House Supercar day in 2012. I sat in the driver's seat and loved it. I said from that day, "if they made one with 250hp, I'd buy one tomorrow". That attitude is what forced me to look elsewhere. After coming full circle and realising that the GT86 was a possibility, I test drove one. Despite being down on power to my Ibiza, and way down on power to what I'd been looking at previously, I loved it.

I loved the character of the engine, I loved the interior, I loved how it went around corners, and most of all, I loved that it was the most fun per £ of any car I had tried. With a few weeks of grinding and looking for the right car, a 300 mile round trip and some money later, brings me to today.

In terms of plans for the car, I've already got it booked in for a secondary decat next Saturday (£110 fitted at Prospeed exhausts in Cardiff, the only place I will ever go for an exhaust), and will be looking at options when there regarding a cat back system a few weeks down the line. I'm in the market for some initial, "sensible" upgrades (new gear knob, front splitter, armrest options and a few others) and when all that is out of the way, I'll start looking at some more expensive and significant changes.

The end game plan, is that in around 2 years time, the car will be supercharged (I just want to find a good twin-screw system before taking the plunge), on 18" wheels, slightly lower, bigger brakes and perhaps wrapped. The wrap is the only real unknown yet, as I'm not sure if I want to change the colour, but everything else is certainly in the plan. 

I look forward to hopefully meeting a load of you at various shows as the year goes on, and look forward to sharing my progress, as well as following a lot of yours as I have been already.

Welcome :) Be sure to make our next wales gathering. I think we're planning on one at some point on the tail end of summer including a castle :D (If Keethos has anything to do with it)

I've been looking for some meets to go to already. Was quite disappointed to see there wasn't one already in the plans. I'll most certainly be there.

Welcome aboard, I hope you find the club useful. :)

Thanks Lauren.

I already have found it very useful, and I'm sure I'll continue to do so :)

I've been looking for some meets to go to already. Was quite disappointed to see there wasn't one already in the plans. I'll most certainly be there.

Ahh there is one in the plans :) keep your eyes peeled :D