New Mini's

Out with my Mother yesterday looking at new cars for her.

She fell in love with the Adam 1.0 turbo last week, but has been warned about poor residuals and the fact that the brand new engine is more than likely going to have some issues. I'm sure there are very poor residuals on this car, but not so sure the engine will be unproven??

Anyway, as she currently drives a 2005 Cooper, I thought we'd visit the Mini garage.. well, if you haven't driven the new mini, go get a test drive. The little Mini One, with a 3 cylinder 1.2 turbo is great, then we drove the Cooper, which has a 3 cylinder 1.5 twin scroll Turbo. The power delivery is smooth and pulls like a train. It suffers a little with the usual FWD washy front end, but I was pushing it, very hard.

She went in saying, "I'm not buying anything today Nigel", she came out the proud owner of a brand new Silver white Cooper with a Chilli pack. I cant wait till she gets it, I'm gonna have fun teaching her how to use the on board computer and stuff.

The looks of the Mini has gone down in my books over the recent years. The 1st "new" Mini was great, the 2nd was even better, but I just can't like the new one.

My old flatmate had a Mk.2 Cooper S. Lovely car to be in and drive, had it's issues though as the turbo went after ~50k. I also know someone who had an early Cooper and it was drinking oil by the end. Neither of those issues probably relate to the newer engines though.

Personally not a fan of Mini's, I respect them in the sense that they do handle well and have the cool Works versions but I dislike everything about the brand, much like I respect the tech Apple offer but again hate everything about the brand (and to me the 2 go hand in hand). It's primarily the "oh every else has one so I have to have one" mentality that bugs me. But not just that, I learnt how to drive in a Mini and there were quite a few niggles that bugged me about the car, like you couldn't see where you were going when turning left as the rear view mirror was sooooo big, the central odometer being funky an all but totally impractical and dangerous if you ask me. Yes you can see a digital speed on the small display but that would disappear and be replaced by a massive fuel icon if you were running low on fuel, and I don't like how massive the car is on the outside and then how tiny the inside is, massively thick doors......but that's enough of me ranting (sorry), let us know how your mother gets on with the mini.

I agree, the 3rd gen Mini is not a pretty car. Kinda like it's put some weight on around the hips??

My Mum loves her 2005 car, with only 37000 miles it is starting to play up.. oil leaks, heavy on fuel, new rad, broken driveshaft etc. She drove the new car and fell in love with it straight away.

At least I know she'll be safe in her new car which should be very well built and reliable. She actually quite fancies my second GT86, and she could have had it, but at 75, her knees wont allow her to get in and out too often...

Old  Mini yeaaa new mini. Not a fan at all. Especially all spin off's. Mini SUV, mini town, Mini coupe, Mini city etc... I may have made a few of those up but you get the idea 

Old Mini yeaaa new mini. Not a fan at all. Especially all spin off's. Mini SUV, mini town, Mini coupe, Mini city etc... I may have made a few of those up but you get the idea

BMW are on here making notes in case they missed any...

To be fair Fiat are at it too. The little 500 is a modern classic, but that 500L people carrier spin off looked like the Elephant Man.

The annoying thing about it, is what made the original Mini so superb in its day was the packaging which was better than any of its contemporaries. The new one is rubbish by modern standards.

Personally I always wished Honda had made a 'Type R' Jazz. That'd be more my kind of OAP express. My Dad has a standard one and it's a very likeable car.

I agree - my wife loves her 500 convertible and it looks fabulous set next to my 86 on the drive - real his 'n' hers cars

it's so easy to drive, just needs more than 69 ponies......

To be fair Fiat are at it too. The little 500 is a modern classic, but that 500L people carrier spin off looked like the Elephant Man.

I also have a 500, twin air. It's a little pocket rocket at 85hp but will soon be gone from my drive

BMW are on here making notes in case they missed any...

The annoying thing about it, is what made the original Mini so superb in its day was the packaging which was better than any of its contemporaries. The new one is rubbish by modern standards.

Personally I always wished Honda had made a 'Type R' Jazz. That'd be more my kind of OAP express. My Dad has a standard one and it's a very likeable car.

oh don't get me started with the 500. Nice looking little car. Then they did the 500L. Not nice at all. 

most run of the mill cars are getting so boring. 

Take Ford. The original KA looked different to the rest of the range. As did the first Focus to the mondeo etc..

Don't get me wrong they new one's look nice and the front grill reminds me of a Aston front nose but the ka, Focus and Mondeo just look the same. Apart from being longer as the range gets bigger. I know if thats what most people want then great but seems the days of having different cars are gone.

Then you get into manufactures who use the base of one make of car and other manufactures put a different body on them   

The Ka is a real pet peeve of mine. The original in many ways WAS the modern Mini - small, inexpensive and brilliant handling. And what did they do? Take a Fiat 500 which is dynamically inferior to the original and then restyle it badly, which is the one thing the Fiat DIDNT need.

I was hoping we'd get fiat style with ford handling. Instead it was the other way around. :-(