GT86-Ian

Speed Cameras A40

They seem to be installing loads of new type cameras on the A40 between RAF Northolt & the Westway, not sure if these are variable speed.

n7203s.jpg

2zgydk8.jpg

2jbw209.jpg

When working these road markings are lit up.

They look like some average cameras I've seen recently on normal roads... I *think* they were in Kent when leaving the PI, and they're pretty stupid because they spanned a couple of junctions so you were stopped at red lights...

They put some of these (average speed) on a 2 to 3 mile stretch of the A1 north of St. Neots in Cambridgeshire about a year or so ago -

- they need watching coz the ones on the A1 are actively enforced - I heard that they issued in the region of 5k tickets in the first 10 months of operation

To be fair - not the nastiest bit of road but there used to be enough accidents on it to make the cameras worth while -

- the cameras on the A1 are for a purpose and that's to prevent accidents not just catch speeders.

- I use that stretch of the A1 a lot and am used to them, but weirdly, I kinda wish they had made the stretch they cover a little longer because now you get all the idiots booting it to silly speeds when they come out of the enforcement zone.

I'm loathe to admit it but sometimes, just sometimes, cameras do serve a useful function - so if you've got new ones near you I suggest checking the accident stats for that bit of road before moaning too much they might save someone's life

No one was moaning really...we are a cheerful bunch after all ;) Just curious I would say. Its better to be informed so you can tell others etc rather then get a nasty little surprise through the door!

In most cases bobbynog speed cameras or so called "safety cameras" haven't had any effect to the reduction in casualties on the road. In some it's actually increased RTA's due to people worrying about their speed to much. It's a shame that we need to have these on our roads these days.

Average cameras can make sense, but ultimately the killer on the roads is lack of concentration. Not speed.