Deacon

Ace muffler manifold group buy

Forgive my lack of knowledge but what does the 150 250 and 350 bit mean?

Its the length of the collector assembly, varying it effects the engine speed at which the standing waves in the exhaust flow scavenge the most (and least!) gas from the combustion chamber. Its similar in concept to tuning inlet tract lengths and both (along with many other variables!) are why its possible to get volumetric efficiency greater than 100%.

Like most things in engineering there is no single "right answer", its all a matter of compromise against your desired performance targets, that all said its very easy to bugger it all up if the various components aren't matched to the same set of targets!

OEMs will spend a lot of time looking at this using software packages such as Ricardo Wave before dyno testing to validate and refine the models.

I do not claim to be an expert in any of this, but my boss used to design engines at Toyota and then Renault F1 (before they were shit!) so I've gleamed what I can him!

I asked Matt Keith's question, his reply is below:-

For Right Hand Drive cars, you guys have to use the 150 or 250. The 350 will not fit.

The 150 has the 2-1 collection point closer to the engine- resulting in a higher peak HP but lower torque

The 250 has the 2-1 collection point further from the engine- resulting in a slightly lower peak HP but better torque.

I have been recommending the 250 as the extra torque helps for corner exit and B-road driving 

Abbey has the 250

Bump. 

Having driven the new 2.0 mx5 yesterday and then jumping back into the 86 I realised just how truly bad the torque dip is and how much getting rid of it (which the ace does) should be a priority! ☺