mike-p

Oil Coolers

So here I am trawling through t'interweb, looking at oil cooler kits and I'm a tad puzzled

Why is a branded oil cooler kit for generic use half the price of their kit for a GT86? The difference seems to be mountings which don't seem to be much more than a couple of 90 degree brackets.

Call me cynical (or anything you want), but if I can buy a generic kit for half the price of a GT86 version (same oil cooler, filter plate and hoses), why would I waste my money?

Do they fink we is stoopid?

More than likely the specific kits use lines and fittings that are of tested lengths for a specific location. The generic kits will mean more work for the buyer, but if you're happy to do that then obviously that's the way to go.

there are a few options of Oil cooler out there.  in the case of Mishimoto theirs uses specific mounting brackets, and some specific stacked plate spacers to fit the sandwich plate correctly.

the universal 19 row mishimoto oil cooler is £324, and the "GT86 specific" kit is £450.00.  so you are paying an additional £126 for the ease of having all the correct parts in one box........it depends really on how good you are at making the brackets etc.  some will have the facilities, others are not so lucky :-)

oh and we have the mishimoto oil coolers in stock if it helps  ;)

cheers

James 

Mike I think this is what you are after (just did this in 5mins so dont expect it to be 100% correct):

You'll need to make some brackets. I would advice again attaching it to the plastic bumper like the Perrin. My vote would go on mounting it up against the crash beam (via some metal tubing or soemthing)

post-299-0-53797600-1432042687_thumb.jpg

No worries Mike. You see, I have an ulterior motive. I want to add a DIY cooler myself, but I wanted to get some measurements of the Cosworth SC radiator so I know how much room to leave  ;)  I was planning on asking you about it!! 

One thing to bare in mind about the Mocal Sandwich plate, to be safe you need to file down the edge of the thermostat. It is perfectly fine to do so.

Some info here (have a flick through to see the bit you need to file down):

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40187

and here for mounting:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65155

I wouldn't mount it upside down as air can get trapped, but using some soild metal standoff should do the trick.

Mocal suggests rubber mounts to avoid harsh vibrations damaging the radiator, which not too many people seem to be doing for some reason....

Checked behind the front grill last night, I can't see the radiator because there's this bleedin' great big thing with 'COSWORTH' written all over it in front of the radiator. Finding space to fit the oil cooler is going to be a challenge. 

Yeah I though the Cosworth Radiator was quite thick/big. I think mounted up under the crach beam like the the link above is the way forward....

Looks like it might just fit:

post-299-0-47392300-1432121599_thumb.jpg

This sidemount seems to me much better placement then stacking before main one. With rad sandwiching not only rad behind is cooled with preheated rad before it, but also total airflow resistance is rised, making harder to blow through and again reducing cooling performance of rads.

Cooling performance of the rad will be fine when stacked. 100MPH is 45Meters per second - that a massive amount of air.

Having said that, mounting on the side as mark suggested my be the only option and cirtainly wont hurt!

Does the HKS kit come with all the moutning brakcets mark?

Yes comes as a lovley complete kit , just is a little expensive.

You need to do something nice ot get the air in either remove the fog lamp and some nice holes in the bonnet.

Stacking the rads I agree it will be okay but the iar has to work hard to pass through 4 rads so you can get stand off (air bouncing back)