Sign in to follow this  

G Meter location

The GT86 must have some form of G Meter in it to have all the traction stuff operating.

Anyone know where it is??

And by hard way I mean I had a base alignment done by the garage that did all my mods, I said that the steering wheel would be fine off centre as was back in a couple of days to pick my wheels up after machining and get a final alignment... The first roundabout I hit the traction kicked in a lot until giving up and turning everything off....

Thanks Jamie,

So, just out of interest, will all the widgets and gizmo's let you drift a stock car? I've been toying with the idea of junking the ABS on my project car, but am being advised against it as all the electronic trickery in our cars is so bloody brilliant!!

The person I have been talking to thought we had a G Meter?

There is a G meter, its not just steering angle that impacts the TCS, although they are both inputs into the system. I was told by the CAT instructor, Colin, that it is placed as close to the centre axis as possible, my guess is under the centre console somewhere.

Don't just junk the ABS as it also controls the EBD. Ask Adrian as I'm sure he tried just removing the fuse and it had adverse effects.

Yes, with it all off you can drift. Apparently it will restore if it senses a wheel off the ground as a last effort if it thinks you're airborne. If that's too intrusive then Google the "pedal dance" which disables everything completely, except ABS, until the cat is restarted. It's meant as a technician diagnostic tool and isn't meant for public use. It's quite well known these days.

Sports Mode does not allow you to drift the car. It will allow the tyres to work in their slip angle, which is far less of a hindrance at higher speeds, but then it kicks in easier. You can't drive the car properly IMO with the aids on. 

It is good though if you're not that smooth and will recover a fair old slide very well. So it will save you a lot of the time if that's how you want to play it. I rarely turn it all off on the road in all honesty, particularly so when I'm going fast.  I rarely activate it though at higher speeds. At lower speeds it kicks in somewhat but I normally just drive with enough slip but not enough to set it off, so it will kick the back out a smidgen on the exit of roundabouts which is fine. :)

You'd be mad to junk the ABS though. No brainer there. If you're good with braking you'll never set it off anyway. It's for those unexpected occasions and there is nothing to gain from cadence braking if you can do it. 

Just had a nosey at the wiring diagram and there is no seperate accelerometer listed for the VSC system... so unless there is one inbuilt into the VSC ECU (this is noted as one item not multiple components) then I don't believe there is a seperate one...

If you could post an image showing the location of all the various ECU's it would be great Jamie.

I have never seen so many ECU's in one car!! I do wonder what each one does????

Thanks for all the replies here guys. I have decided not to junk the ABS and all the other driver aids that go with it, they will probably get me out of more than one sticky situation!!

I found an in depth article on the TMG CS3 car today, and was surprised to see they have junked the ABS and have also fitted an aftermarket floor mounted pedal box.

Don't junk the abs sensors as they are required for launch and traction control strategies.  That is if you want to make use of those of course.  Traction is normally just based off wheel speeds.  G can be very noisey and GPS is laggy.

The workshop manual lists the following CAN ecu's/sensors's:-

Main body (network gateway)

Combination meter (clocks)

ECM

TCM

Skid control (brake actuator)

Steering angle sensor

Power steering ecu

Air bag ecu

PSP (option - auto's i think)

Only mention i can find of G is the front airbag assembly has some sort of deceleration measurement that triggers deployment.

The problem with pulling canbus devices is you can sometimes cause the bus to crash if dependancies suddenly disappear.  I would suggest unplugging them and checking the DTC faults with the ECUTEK lead.  If one system crashes another you'll see a DTC for all that are dependant.  It's a bit of a drawn out process but safest and most accurate way to look.

All the TRC/VSC check procedures reference down from the ABS in the diagnostics.

Manual states the following for the Slip light on the dash which flashes up the moment it detects a traction event

• SLIP - Receives VSC control signal or malfunction signal from brake actuator assembly (skid control ECU) (CAN).

It certainly reads that all TRC/VSC systems and ABS are certainly CAN based.

The other way around these issues is to fool the CAN signals.

It's a shame the manual doesn't give more detail but then again it's really designed for diagnostic on these systems and if they fail it says to replace.

What happens with regards to traction events when you turn TRC and VSC off?  My car is happy doing proper dounts with these off but i've heard a few people say it doesn't turn off completely.