Special K

Lake District this weekend

I shall be close to Kendal/Grange Over Sands Fri/Sat/Sun - are there any local Members who fancy a meet?

Cannot make Sat lunchtime - I am visiting my favourite UK restaurant (L'Enclume, Cartmel) to sample Simon's incredible  tasting menu... 15 courses... every time I go there I swear it cannot get any better and it does...!!

Spec K

Agreed.... too good an opportunity to miss for the two best coloured GT86's to be seen in one place... :D

Yep - driving up from Macclesfield Friday morning aiming to arrive 11.00ish, Staying  at Levens, just south of Kendal on A590.

A beer on Friday evening is a cunning plan. There are so many really great pubs around there...

.... anyone else in the locality?

Spec K

<Looketh not upon the wine when it is red, for it biteth like an arrow and stingeth like a serpent>

Sounds good mate, look forward to it. Let me know where to meet up - name of pub and postcode would be perfecto.

Great roads round here - A593 from Coniston to Ambleside is a cracker and perfect for an 86. Although the locals not keen on my exhaust note, at all :-)

Haversack

Stan - Red Lion Inn, Lowick Bridge, LA12 8EF ?

I've been there before - not too far for either of us. Shall we say 7.00pmish?

Yep, the roads in the area are good for our modus operandum.... if they don't like your exhaust the pair of us will freak 'em out....

Spec K

Thanks for a great evening Keith you bloody legend! Lovely to meet Rachel and Roz too. Hope to see them next time we're in the Lakes.

In answer to your question of why we walk up hills, we might as well set our heads on fire (!) here is your answer, we saw this last Sunday from Coniston Old Man..

post-548-14135819008585.jpg

Haversack

Awesome, Stan....

.... it seems that you and Chris Stanbury are 'the legend'..... Rachel did a bit of internet sniffing last night and you two've got quite a reputation...

.... but I will admit that if I want see clouds below me I'd rather be in a aluminium tube at 30,000 ft... preferably going somewhere hot... as for Chris breaking his leg in two places and being airlifted off a tor - stay clear of those two places in future...

Spec K

'Tasting' menu at L'Enclume, Cartmel (home of Simon Rogan)  on Saturday - 16 courses -

Oyster Pebbles

Oxtail Dumpling

Crispy chicken, squid, redcurrant

Smoked eel with ham fat

Raw scallop and caviar

Creamed celeriac, Tunworth (cheese), lambs tongue

Salt baked squash, Maran egg, sunflower, chestnut

Valley venison, charcoal oil, mustard and fennel

Glazed lobster, scurvy grass,hazelnuts, carrot, watercress

Artichokes with goats cheese, tarragon, stout vinegar and malt

Grilled plaice and turnip, potato, dill and mussel

Suckling British lop (pig), beetroot, kale, elderflower

Apple and rosehip tart, blackberry, brown butter, rhubarb

Iced blueberry, sheeps milk and apple marigold

Honeycomb, poached quince, walnut and perilla

Apple, sweet cheese, pineapple weed.

Dining does not get better than this.... flavours and textures that are the pinnacle of gastronomic science. I declined the puddings and went for the cheese trolley - stunning British cheeses, including a Roquefort and a sheeps milk Camembert you would die for. Rachel had the sweets and said they were sublime.. 

Six different wines to complement the courses plus a glass of sake with the cheese.. even if I had been driving I wouldn't have got in behind the steering wheel... sheer self-indulgent gluttony... B)

Spec K

Sounds amazing Keith - apart from the 'Scurvy Grass'...

Thanks for the advice, will definitely try to avoid those 2 places :-)

As for our reputations, you've got me concerned now. Most of my family and friends think I escape to the hills so frequently for one reason only, secret liaisons with the locals.....

post-548-14137260590665.jpg

Haversack