griffinnn

Brakes squealing!!!

Sorry my friend but my answer remains as my previous post....

I cannot give you anything other than the facts as they stand.. the squeal noise does not constitute a technical failure

No probs Nige. I appreciate your position on this.

Cosmetic issues get sorted under warranty all the time and these are not a technical/mechanical part failure.

Hopefully the work done today, which was free of charge, will have solved the problem for me.

Thanks for your quick replies. Much appreciated.

I am more than happy to discuss the issue with CR on your behalf if the need to change pads arises so keep me informed, I can say that Toyota GB are not in the habit of leaving customers in an unhappy position so keep me informed and I will be happy to support..

I am more than happy to discuss the issue with CR on your behalf if the need to change pads arises so keep me informed, I can say that Toyota GB are not in the habit of leaving customers in an unhappy position so keep me informed and I will be happy to support..

Thanks Nige. I have always been impressed in the past by the customer service by Toyota so I'm sure will in the future. Many thanks.

I've had mine greased up twice, the squeal will eventually come back. As Nigel says it is due to the pad, taking the edge off the pad only rectifies it until it wears down again which if you're driving it properly will mean the squeal will come back in a matter of weeks...

I've had mine greased up twice, the squeal will eventually come back. As Nigel says it is due to the pad, taking the edge off the pad only rectifies it until it wears down again which if you're driving it properly will mean the squeal will come back in a matter of weeks...

Maybe but how can the OEM pads squeal due to the compound? Does anyone with Ferodo, EBC pads have the same issues?

Maybe but how can the OEM pads squeal due to the compound? Does anyone with Ferodo, EBC pads have the same issues?

I know people with Ferodo have had squeal. Not sure about EBC

I think you get used to it after a while. I always have music on anyway, so don't hear it that much. After 50,000 miles I don't mind it anymore. I thought to myself today that it sounded alright. 

Just for comparison when I originally got my AE86 it didn't have any anti-squeal plates and it was ear piercingly loud, to the point of embarrassment. It did go away once I fitted said plates thankfully. So I don't the GT86 is that bad. Yes they make a little noise, but it's livable I think. I've done the mileage to prove it! ;)

I use DS2500 pads all the time with Stop Tech rotors. New fronts fitted last Thursday (before Snetterton).

Squeal arose on way home from Snet, leading/trailing edges chamfered, squeal disappeared.

If the noise returns again it's a simple job to remove the pads and re-chamfer... again, Coppercote helps.

Another tip - look at your rear pads, they can bind on a small machined lip where the rotor and the bell join. If this is the case - as mine was - just bevel off the  bottom of the pads.... this stops a 'graunchy' noise which is a similar sound to metal-on-metal when pads have worn out..

Spec K

Mine squeal with after market Brembo Callipers and Performance Friction Z-Rated pads. 

It's never bothered me though. It's only when crawling in traffic and low speeds up to certain roundabouts etc. 

I take the view 'Because race car yo'. 

Mine squeal with after market Brembo Callipers and Performance Friction Z-Rated pads.

It's never bothered me though. It's only when crawling in traffic and low speeds up to certain roundabouts etc.

I take the view 'Because race car yo'.

I'll accept that maybe with some aftermarket setups more aligned to the track you might get some squeal but would put up with it because you are getting extra performance but for an OEM system to do it I think is just unacceptable. It's not like they rip your face off when you brake either. They just average.

Without wishing to labour a point, you can have some alternative pads fitted at Toyota GB's expense if you discuss this with CR should you wish, TGB has recognised the fact that not everyone is willing to accept the noise........most importantly this does not mean that TGB is admitting there is a fault with the pads, this is about putting the customer 1st by going that little bit further !!!!!!!!

However this is not, and will not be covered under Warranty because the pads have not failed in their intended task....

The pads specified by the Brake Engineers are not fitted because they increase performance, they are fitted to maintain brake effort under extreme conditions, this has been done ONLY with your safety in mind and to be honest I'm happy to say that they have not compromised on that approach...

Would you like me to arrange some alternative pads for you ??

If so PM me your Reg (or Vin) , your non Forum name and your local centre and I'll sort it tomorrow for you...

I've been out today for a good drive and the greasing has cured it. How long it lasts who knows. I'll see how it goes Nige and then maybe take you up on the offer thanks. Much appreciated.

Would you like me to arrange some alternative pads for you ??

If so PM me your Reg (or Vin) , your non Forum name and your local centre and I'll sort it tomorrow for you...

What's wrong with his forum name :D *Phones toyota* "Hi Foulsmell wants some US Spec Pads."

Came to have a look in this thread as I got a death stare from a mother at some traffic lights who didn't approve of my squeaky braking style, my local dealer already hates me (gearbox + satnav) so I'll wait until the pads need changing before trying anything else, then again I'd rather have the performance and live with the noise personally.

I have owned several performance cars including Toyotas. Some more track focused some not, some with aftermarket track braking systems and none of them have squealed.

Not sure what track focused cars or brakes you refer to but I've rarely seen motorsport or proper track equipment that didn't squeal, unless the discs/pads were glazed. It's part and parcel of the intended use. I'd rather have a little squeal than early fade because I've cooked the brakes. But if you don't track your car, then I can see the annoyance.