Rab

MFactory 4.67 Final Drive

MFactory 4.67:1 Final Drive 

1 year old/7k miles

Cant photo the actual parts as they're still inside the diff, and are being removed this week!

So here's a generic photo of what you get!

finaldrive_gt86.jpg

£400 o.n.o. and is located in Hamilton but happy to post/deliver where possible.

Thanks,

Robert

Do you know the labour time / cost of fitting? 

I have no idea how the ratios work, but might be tempted if it works well with a manual? I don't want to turn 1st gear into a tyre shredding gear or be sitting at 4kRPM at 70mph on the motorway....?

It increased my revs by 300 at 80mph (Auto), no noteable effect on economy. Between 3-4 hours fitting time and over a second off your 2-62mph time. No "tyre shreading" whatsoever, you're only reducing friction through the drive train and incresing the prop:halfshaft ratio by 0.57.

The only downside is a marginaly reduced top speed but if you're not in the habit of driving everywhere at 140mph you won't notice. The acceleration gains far outweigh the top end deficit. Simple mod for great results, old skool rally style!

I believe the stock car has a 4.1 ratio final drive (manual cars) so switching to 4.67 would mean approximately 14% increase in rpm when cruising (i.e. cruising at 3000 would be 3400 at the same speed) but it also means 14% torque being transfered to the ground. Think of it as a 25hp power gain (if you have a stock engine) which lets be honest won't be undriveable in lower gears and if you can put up with a few hundred extra revs at cruise then you won't suffer too much. bare in mind that whilst the engine is doing more revs, it is under less load.

I believe the stock car has a 4.1 ratio final drive (manual cars) so switching to 4.67 would mean approximately 14% increase in rpm when cruising (i.e. cruising at 3000 would be 3400 at the same speed) but it also means 14% torque being transfered to the ground. Think of it as a 25hp power gain (if you have a stock engine) which lets be honest won't be undriveable in lower gears and if you can put up with a few hundred extra revs at cruise then you won't suffer too much. bare in mind that whilst the engine is doing more revs, it is under less load.

...and therein the truth is unveiled... in top gear at 3000rpm you're breaking the speed limit anyway, so what's the issue..? The cops don't care if it's 3k or 3.4k,  you're nicked...

Rab - the auto has different gearing than the manual. Our auto 5th is the equivalent of the manual's 6th... and therein lies the reason for our Road Tax being cheaper than the 'gas guzzlers', bwahahaha... it also makes the 4.67 a better proposition for us, giving better acceleration without loss of high speed cruising.

My experience is that the 4.67 does make an appreciable difference in acceleration.

Drawback? It 'whines', no matter how precise you (or Fensport) are when fitting with shims and clearances.

Spec K

Good point raised Keith, is the final drive the same on both manual and automatic and just he gearbox ratios are different?

I believe there are some versions of the car out there (I think maybe Japan only) with a 3.7 final drive which is just crazy. maybe the versions with the 16inch wheels?

Good point raised Keith, is the final drive the same on both manual and automatic and just he gearbox ratios are different?

I believe there are some versions of the car out there (I think maybe Japan only) with a 3.7 final drive which is just crazy. maybe the versions with the 16inch wheels?

Yes - I am told that both manual/auto in 'Euro' import run the 4.1 final drive and yes - it is merely gearbox ratios which are diferent.

Mas - a 3.7 diff makes sense in certain ways. I have never (even at Spa) grabbed 6th for speed, merely for stability.. so a 3.7 could be perfect where one needs to use the five inter gears.. Silverstone might, possibly, be a circuit where 6th on a 4.1/ 4.67 would be usable.. not tried it, Ed (LFA) might be the guy who knows..

A high f/d can be as effective in five gears as a low f/d in six... I could have seriously used that at Croft, as could manuals, I suggest..

The compromise with a 3.7 is getaway off the line - but even the std car is smoking its tyres in first..

Is the way forward a seven-speed gearbox, I aks myself..?

Any chance HKS can give us a 7-speed box/ duplex final drive? (Drool..)

Spec K

Just for info I can tell you 85mph equates to 4k almost exactly. So perfectly ok for cruising imo. Did the run from Kent up to Croft couple of weeks back and honestly it's no problem.

It's just so much more fun to drive and I'm sure it's worth a chunk of time on track as well. Surprised more people haven't had it done..

Haversack

I can confirm that the JDM car I had (GT Limited Spec) seemed to have the same gearing as my UK car. 

Just for info I can tell you 85mph equates to 4k almost exactly. So perfectly ok for cruising imo. Did the run from Kent up to Croft couple of weeks back and honestly it's no problem.

It's just so much more fun to drive and I'm sure it's worth a chunk of time on track as well. Surprised more people haven't had it done..

Haversack

Stan have you got the same ratio as this one for sale? 

I was very impressed with your car. Not so sure I want the whine though :( 

Jay, the only time I can hear the whine is at motorway speeds with the radio off, it's very faint but it is a side effect of fitting the FD. Spec K's sounded identical to mine last time I drove his.

Should be removed by Friday if anyone's interested :)

Jay, the only time I can hear the whine is at motorway speeds with the radio off, it's very faint but it is a side effect of fitting the FD. Spec K's sounded identical to mine last time I drove his.

Should be removed by Friday if anyone's interested :)

Will have a good think about it, need to see if funds allow. + Fitting  labour costs etc. 

Mas - a 3.7 diff makes sense in certain ways. I have never (even at Spa) grabbed 6th for speed, merely for stability.. so a 3.7 could be perfect where one needs to use the five inter gears.. Silverstone might, possibly, be a circuit where 6th on a 4.1/ 4.67 would be usable.. not tried it, Ed (LFA) might be the guy who knows..

Well some calculations by me (could be out by a bit) suggest that an AT could do approximately 180mph at the top of 5th at 7500rpm. Extending it with a 3.7 drive would give in theory a top speed in 5th gear at 208mph. So unless you are reaching over 180mph on circuit in an AT then a longer drive won't help you any as it will only reduce acceleration.

In a MT car 5th takes you to around 133mph. Using a 3.7 would then extend this to 148mph. so if your top speed is going to be between this range then it might possibly be of benefit but it depends if the acceleration lost through all the gears would be more than what you lose through being in 6th for a short time.

Now to try and bring it back to something vaguely related to rabs sale post, the speeds you can expect to see in each gear with standard vs 4.67 final drive are as follows:

MT

1st, stock: 37, 4.67: 32mph

2nd, stock: 61, 4.67: 54mph

3rd, stock: 87, 4.67: 76mph

4th, stock:110, 4.67: 97mph

5th, stock: 134, 4.67: 118mph

6th, stock: 175, 4.67: 153mph

AT

1st, stock: 38, 4.67: 33mph

2nd, stock: 65, 4.67: 57mph

3rd, stock: 95, 4.67: 84mph

4th, stock:134, 4.67: 118mph

5th, stock: 188, 4.67: 165mph

6th, stock: 230, 4.67: 202mph

so unless you plan on doing over 150mph in a manual or over 200 in an auto this will work fine for you

I reckon in reality running that final drive would make it similar in gear ratios to my old Panda 100hp (that was a 6 speed). That was nippy in part due to the gearing. 

It was actually okay on the motorway, sure you were going along at higher revs, but it did mean it was more responsive as a result. 

My old AE86 would sit at 3000rpm at 100km/h (62mph). Of course it only has five gears but that becomes a chore on a 1600 mile trip to Germany and back especially when your top cruising speed is 130km/h on de-restricted autobahn.

Stan have you got the same ratio as this one for sale?

I was very impressed with your car. Not so sure I want the whine though :(

Yes this is the one I have. M Factory 4.67.

The other interesting benefit, that I hadn't really anticipated, especially if you have the remap, is the almost turbo diesel - like flexibility in top when cruising. On the 'power map', you can just brush the throttle and it simply surges forward in a way you just can't with the standard setup. Overall I'd say it's a better cruiser than before in fact.... bet you weren't expecting to hear that!

I'm sure the standard ratios were chosen for "environmental performance" reasons. They're far too wide. It comes at the expense of driving enjoyment in my view.

For anyone on the fence, just do it. You won't regret it :-)

Haversack

No, had it removed at my local garage who do my "normal" work! 

It's at home in Hamilton Jay, but if you want it I'll post it to you, or to Fensport if that helps, asap

Rob, I'll keep that offer in mind, thanks mate.............

:P