faith

Cannonball GT Rally to Thruxton - 17/8/14

Myself, Chris and James had the pleasure of joining the Cannonball GT Rally from Datchet to Thruxton Race Circuit on Sunday, and what a fantastic time we had! It's a bit long, but I felt compelled to do a write up ;-) plus some links to photos and videos B-)

Bright and early Sunday morning I dashed to the petrol station for a pit stop and who should be there but Mr Hatton himself, plus a rather nice white and red Porsche I said a quick hello then sprinted over to Bracknell to team up with fellow Cannonballer’s in their supercharged GT86, Turbo GT86, Black Chrysler, Blue Vauxhall VXR and some of the grid girls in their little black Clio, ready to convoy over to Liquid Leisure. Chris in the Turbo’d GT86 led the way to another pit stop then I took the lead in the Ginger GT86 for a leisurely run over to Datchet, so we didn’t lose the Clio

What an amazing sight on entering the venue, super cars and super modded cars galore, including Ferrari’s, R8’s, TT’s, Skyliner’s, Aston’s, Jag’s, Lamborghini’s, Porsche’s, GTR’s, Subaru’s and much more, petrol head heaven. Then Phil Pimpinitdaddy Southgate went to work on stickering up the cars with their Cannonball GT vinyl’s, which I have to say looked awesome, thanks Phil xx

After drooling over the cars it was time for the drivers briefing, where we were obviously advised that this was a sensible, safe and leisurely cruise, with no speeding condoned at all, and we were all introduced to the lovely Cheeky Girl Monica, who would be waving us off. As we set off I waved the Red Ferrari in front of me out, thinking nice sensible lady, how wrong was I when she left me for dust

Cruising past Windsor Castle was awesome, giving the crowds of tourists a fantastic photo opportunity. Then there was that moment when about 10 of us were sat at the lights feeding onto the dual carriageway out of Windsor, the lights changed and the noise of those cars accelerating away was fantastic. Then it was time for me to catch some great video footage, so I pulled into the ‘slow’ lane, not a place I frequent too often, and was able to enjoy the procession accelerating past me.

The convoy continued around the M4, M25 and onto the M3, where the fun really began. Got some cracking video footage again, this time of some close combat duels, the McKenzie Arnold boys waving to us from the bridge and the paparazzi taking photos from the Aston. I really enjoyed the close running, laughing at the Skyliner as he blasted past me and especially when I caught up with my fellow GT86’s, where I thought I’d have a laugh by trying to take on Chris in the turbo, which was obviously never going to happen.

With not long to go we slotted in behind the red truck to convoy into Thruxton Circuit, where I parked up and drooled over the cars yet again. I had time to grab a quick drink and watch a few laps of the Formula 3 race, before I jumped back in the GT86 to give the crowd a nice spectacle with a parade lap around the circuit, which luckily turned into two laps, providing plenty of chances to give it a bit of welly.

Then time for a spot of lunch in Hospitality and a few more photo opportunities, before unfortunately having to head off early, to cruise back and grab a few Zzzzz’s before working a night shift. But the fun continued on the way home, as I came across several other Cannonballer’s who gave a friendly wave and flash of the lights, it’s great to feel part of the big Cannonball GT Rally family x

Here is the link to my photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153062396642646.1073741886.821767645&type=1&l=789a9b467b

And the videos (part 3 has some nice GT86 action)

Part 1 -

Part 2 -

Part 3 -

Part 4 -

Again, awesome stuff Faith, looked like a right hoot....where were our invites then?   -_-   There definitely were some nice motors there and I seriously can't believe how random it was to have a Cheeky Girl there :lol:  

cheers guys, is was a lot of fun. I think we should organise some Cannonball runs B-)

Keethos, I only just got in as they only allowed 50 cars. James and Chris left it to the last minute and was lucky that others hadn't paid, so nipped in there!

Cheers Alec B-) I have two more to add as well, the ones from the two parade laps we did

Part 5:

Part 6:

Amazing day can't wait for the next one!! Faith you made it all happen with you universal skills on the can.

I can't believe you can hear my car accelerate over your music. Always wanted to hear it.

Part 3 was the best ; ) where's James? Lol I floored it after another car, 350? Cant remeber! Totally smashed the tuned fiesta st lol dude thought i only had flash wheels and a huge exhaust. No no...go sprintex.hehe

Yeah, you two really do need your own PA's lol. And I think my music was surprising low, well a lot lower than usual anyway. Next time I'm behind you I'll turn it off so you can enjoy your "whine" even more ;-)

You totally disappeared! For all I knew you'd gone down a ditch ;-)

Have to agree though, part 3 was also my favourite B-)