I have a set of 16" RC Advan wheels

8" et35

Fitted with Goodyear and Continental 225 x 50 tyres

Only fitted last winter when there wasn't an issue with deep snow

and they gave more confidence

Will have to check which model of tyres I have

The deeper sidewalls give a bit more flex

Stephen

I have the Yoko Winter Drives on stock rims in stock sizes.

Last winter when I had them on it just wasn't cold enough, so my advice is to maybe get the tyres but wait and see if the weather is looking to go through a cold snap as otherwise they can be a bit of a liability in higher temps.

Yep, fair enough. Last year in the UK the temperature was barely under 5C and at 5C winter tyres aren't that good, just IMO. It needs to be closer to freezing in my experience which was for about five days last winter. 

But, it was a very mild winter so we shall see. 

They probably do work, but on the flip side a summer tyre can probably work comfortably until 5 degrees. Which is why people would favour the summer over a winter in them conditions I guess.

I honestly think the whole hype thing about winter tyres being better at 7 degrees is simply hype. I would take a summer tyre any day at that temperature. But I think the marketing is such in the UK due to it not actually being that cold here. 

I think winter tyres are better when it is closer to freezing and certainly below freezing they perform better. 

Quite apart from the "temperature they work at" I've found they clear standing water significantly better than summer tyres, so if we have a very wet winter with lots of water everywhere they will be better suited to the conditions in my opinion - even though they feel a bit softer than a summer tyre and there is a difference in outright grip until you get down to very cold, in the cold (or chilly) and wet I rarely find that the car limits cornering grip, 9 times out of 10 it is the driver... At least in my car...