Twigman

My Mazda6 pain

Ok so the Mazda6 is due servicing and MOT (and tax) so took it along for a preservice checkup to see what parts need ordering.

I knew it had a problem with a plastic undertray after getting it half ripped off going through a flood so needed things checking out.

My wallet will regret it as the thing requires new pads and discs all round (I kinda knew this already but hoped there'd be enough for MOT), new tyres all round ( I knew this too)....new undertray (I knew this)...new fuel tank protection panel (damaged by lack of functioning undertray - news to me) new wiper blades (really? are you sure?) plus one of the brake calipers apparently needs stripping and cleaning (looks OK to me tbh)....

So to get through this service and MOT will put a hole in my wallet in excess of a grand - then there's tax to pay on top.

:(

Did you take it to Mazda? Wouldn't surprise me if they were pulling your trousers down on the majority of things. You would know if you needed new wiper blades!

Did you take it to Mazda? Wouldn't surprise me if they were pulling your trousers down on the majority of things. You would know if you needed new wiper blades!

Rob yes i did - they are normally very reasonably priced.

i took it to them as the broken panel, which came half off as a result of driving through deep flood water a few months back, is only available through Mazda.

The discs and pads seem a little dear, mind, and I could do them myself but do not have the time (nor the inclination).

Tyres I shall get from local discount tyre shop - I intended to change them anyway.

It works out around £300 for the tyres ( £75 a corner from cheapo tyre place round the corner)

plus £188 for the scheduled service (want to maintain the service record which is electronic)

They want over £400 for the discs and pads and another £60 to strip and clean and reseal the caliper

£75 for the undertray panel and another £55 for the other panel they say is busted

plus £39 for the MOT

OUCH OUCH OUCH

I will suck it up - just means I won't be able to spend anything more on the 86 for a couple of months - (i do have some audio already paid for on the way so that will keep me busy)

oh and then quoted me something stupid like £27 for the wiper blades WTF?

If the wipers are flat blades then £27 isn't unreasonable.. I guess if you want to keep the service history then it's just one of those things :( bite the bullet.