Ade

My drive in the HKS GT86 (With a supercharger)

My drive in the HKS GT86 (With a supercharger)

I’m not one for words so I will be brief.

It was a pleasure speaking to Maz. He clearly has a lot of interest in the GT86 and a genuine car enthusiast.

The car as mentioned before has the High-Flow Exhaust, 18inch rims with 225s all round, the HKS suspension (I forget the model), an Oil cooler and the Supercharger Kit.

Based on the Dyno, it suggests about a +42% increase in power. Putting it at around 280HP at the fly (Maz suggests about 260HP conservatively).

20140120_174304.jpg

First Impressions

The suspension was firm but compliant. I was reasonably impressed with the ride over rough B-roads. What I was impressed with was the cornering. Now I am not sure how much difference the tyres make but the wheel/suspension combo on this car works very well. Turn in was very sharp with minimal roll and the car felt lighter. It would be very nice as a track car but not sure if I could handle the ride on a daily basis. It all depends on your personal preference.  I drive a Merc C Class as a daily so I am used to comfort.

The exhaust for me was far too loud. I would want something just a bit louder than the stock exhaust - especially with the sound generator deleted. The note however was nice, and cruising at 60MPH it was dulled down to the slight rumble.

The supercharger was the main attraction for me and the main reason I went to drive the car. The car felt very quick particularly above 4k where it really comes to life. In 5th gear at 2.5k rpm it has notably more grunt that the stock car, picking up nicely. I would have liked the torque to increase more linearly as you can clearly feel when the 4k boost comes on. I would have like a constant, steady increase in torque as rpm increases.  It feels a bit like the old Celica when the cams change over. I wonder if this will improve with development work.

Through the gears the car felt like a proper quick sports car. I would estimate 5-5.5sec 0-60. Each gear felt as if you were in a gear below in the stock car. Power feels flat from about 5k-7k which the sweet spot for a centrifugal setup.

The jury is out. I need to drive the other FI cars to make my mind up, but a very nice setup indeed.

post-299-0-36554600-1390305054_thumb.jpg

I'm very interested to try this one as there is a part of me that wonders if a centrifugal supercharger may well be the option that suits my needs best. I've driven three turbos and the Abbey twin screw SC.

My thinking is that a centrifugal blower will deliver characteristics more like a bigger capacity NA. I like lots of revs, so don't want to waft along on torque.

I've been impressed by all the other forced induction cars I've tried so far. Ian's was my favourite I think as I really liked the delivery, it was very smooth and you still revved the engine well to make good progress.

The stock engine has a flat torque curve, so it doesnt quite feel liek its a bigger version of the same engine.

I would liken the torque delivery of the Centrifugal to the old Celica VVTL 1.8 - just imagine its a 3L

To be honest the litchfield SC has a strighter torque curve, which I would prefer, but I wonder if a little development work wont improve things.

Because the (sort of) crossover is in the middle of the revs, I found I either poodled along nicely or revved it hard

I spoke to Maz on the other forum and he said I could pop over one evening. I live about 10 miles from HKS-europe! Hada botu 40min in the car :)

I love hte centrifugal setup. I will be gonig FI, I just dont know when, or what FI I will be using. Probably not this year that for sure.

Just to follow up on this. I went back and drive the V2 HKS last week. Much smoother power delivery now and a bit more at the top. Great drive and the kit is routed much better now.

To follow on again, I agree. 

The difference between the new V2 and V1 is light and day. So much better response, more power, smoother and awesome delivery. 

To follow on again, I agree. 

The difference between the new V2 and V1 is light and day. So much better response, more power, smoother and awesome delivery. 

Bit of mixed metaphors there, Jay ;) 

Day and night, or Light and dark :D 

Please don't threaten me, now bellyroll.gif

lol, yeah Jay, think you meant Night and Day*

Mas, I think I may need a go in your car ;)

Yeah definitely right! 

I'm currently nursing a really bad cold, cough and sore throat. (Maybe Ebola)

Night and day. Although currently my night and days seem to mixing into 1 based on how much I need to do in the next couple of weeks.