Special K

Dynamic suspension

Whilst I was up at Fensport last week Tony showed me a piece of demo kit, produced by Tein in Japan, which takes road/track 'suspension tuning' to a new peak.

Essentiall Tein have produced motorised adjusters which fit on top of their shocks which react, via separate front/rear wireless relays, to a sensor mounted on the dashboard. This sensor can be pre-set to the preferred 'static' load - baby-soft for road use and dashboard adjusted to stiffen up for track.

This sensor reacts to G-forces produced under acceration, braking and cornering. Under braking it will stiffen up the fronts and soften the rears, under cornering it will soften the inside and stiffen the outside shocks. And it reacts to combinations of 'load', in 10ths of a second... it also has GPS built in, so your preferred settings at, say, Oulton can be called up at some future date...

Neat, eh..? The only downside is that it cannot at present be adapted for other makes of suspension.. which would make my Konis redundant.

I like it..

Spec K

I've been looking at these keith! 

You can get the controller for around £300.

Again annoying as it has to be fitted to Tein Coilovers! Which happen to be the most expensive out there!

I was going to have a look and get one to try fit onto default 'coilover adjuster knobs'. Some sort of grip. 

Again I do like the idea! Long motorway journeys, make it soft. Get onto a back road and turn them all up!

Had exactly the same thoughts as you! When funds allow I may purchase one and have a play! I doubt it would be impossible to adapt the tein fitment for other coilovers! 

About £500 for the entire controller.

You can get an older version which is basically the control but without the GPS / G-force stuff. You can just adjust damperning from inside the car! 

You can get that for about £180 - £200. But only compatable with Tein coilovers! Well over £1500! 

I might get the cheaper £180 controller just to see if there is a way to adapt them onto standard coilovers! 

I would want some serious feedback/applause from current users before I'd fork out nearly £2grand for the whole shebang.

But it's getting towards F1 technology... probably a standard item on the top supercars.. and I just fancy it...

Spec K

The Tein active EDFC has been about for a while, this video is about a year old:

One more thing to go wrong IMO. As Jay said the standard EDFC has been about for years. I know of no-one who would bother to use it. It basically works by using stepper motors to turn the adjustment valve, you could probably get it to work depending on the coilovers but then reliability is going to take a hit.

Here's how it works:

516584656.jpg

KR - of course it's one more thing to '...go wrong..'!

So's a turbo.. so's different brake pads... so's every add-on.. should that stop progress?

And if it's been around for a year  there should be a load of customer feedback available out there...

My glass is half full - yours appears to be half empty. Merely a difference in outlook.

Spec K

Not half empty, just not merely of the disposition to waste money.

Also, it seems the big question is getting the right Tein coilovers for the system.

When will Fensport have them fitted on their car?

Comments I've found:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25960

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=491418&page=2

http://www.3si.org/forum/f41/anyone-running-tein-edfc-kit-532557/

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/176790-Tein-mono-flex-with-edfc-active-gps

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898580

Kind of you to offer - I can dispose of waste money without your generous offer, thanks..  ;)

Thanks for the comment leads..

Adrian's racecar is still fitted with the BC coilovers - not sure what's fitted to the roadcar. When we last chatted he was looking at fitting Koni adjustables, same as Rob275/myself have. (Although Rob is unhappy with his I am more than satisfied with mine, just getting peed off with the idea of manually adjusting them..)

I do have concerns about Tein 'gear', as I have already suffered unsatisfactory spring compression on the rear. However, I am mindful that I take 4 wheels/tyres, trolley jack and tools in the boot to each TSS round - that's a lorra weight and will compromise most unsupported rear suspension systems.

I will go the Tein route.. but it will require complete support, not just from Fensport but from Tein if they want me to track their stuff in the TSS next year. Mark at Abbeysport has raised interesting questions over shocks 'rebound'... always good to ask for development testing on such matters..

I don't my proving stuff on track (or road) but I'm not a 'paying development platform' for them or any other 'developer' wishing to make their mark in the UK.

It's all about creating a 'sus-tein-able' sales stream.. haha..

Spec K