keelerad

Frost and Sticking Windows

OK, for those who haven't owned their 86/BRZ through a winter be prepared for sticky windows. Once frost forms you will find that the glass may stick to the rubber seal, this can cause the window motors to go into fault mode as they then can't do the one inch drop when you open the doors, the lights on the switches flash and you have to go through a reset sequence

What can help is this stuff, you apply it to the rubber and it helps prevent the glass sticking, still have issues with really heavy frosts where it builds up at the bottom, but this prevents the ones where its stuck at the top, where you are crapping yourself pulling the door open with the glass stiuck against the seal.

[Posted Image

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=287698

Worth getting some before the frosts start, you can find it on Amazon and Ebay, think I paid £7.95 for mine but it last for ages (My Boss and I went halves as his A5 coupe had the same issue)

Alec

Also make sure you keep your Ice scrapers out of the car, to prevent it sticking on the bottom also if you scrape the bottom edge of the window before you open the door it does not stick. Last year it was snowing heavily, i wound my window all the way down and it wouldn't go back up I was freezing my tits off and didn't know what to do :(

Just to clarify for those who don't already know, the issue when the windows do stick a bit and you get flashing window switch, is that the window will no longer return back to it's closed position (after it drops an inch, it won't go back up when you close the door) and some cases, the window can't be wound down or up at all like in Rob's case.  This is just a fail safe that they build in to prevent damaging the windows in cold icy conditions.

The reset sequence that Alec mentioned above is to hold both window switches down (so the windows drop all the way down, if the passenger side doesn't, you might need to use the passenger's side window switch to do so), once they are both down, back on the drivers side controls, hold the switches up so both windows closes but continue to hold the switches up for about 10 seconds, after which, this should reset and sync the windows.

Yeah I had it do what Rob mentioned, tried to wind it down to reset it and it got stuck fully open, wish I'd just left it stuck the one inch down as I had to drive to work in subzero temps with the drivers window fully open. Once the temp warmed up a bit then it started working again and i could shut it but it was a cold drive (thank god it was just from the B&B to work rather than all the way across the Peaks)

Alec

Could have done with this earlier in the week!

Windows were frozen and wouldn't go back up but would go down. Did try putting the drivers side down all the way, didn't go up but closing the drivers door helped and was fine after that.

Got some gtechniq g1 on my windscreen and that wasn't frozen except where it was dirty (where the wipers don't touch), so I now have some g5 on my side / rear window so heres hoping that helps stop those freezing 

Just to add to my earlier post, on the Saturday morning my mum's car was frozen up and so was mine on the body work but the windows (with G1 / G5 on) were 95% water and the small patches of ice just slid off so definitely helps!