Sign in to follow this  
jude555

Climate Control

Just wondering if this is right or not.When I have the BRZ in full auto mode, the air con light is permanently on no matter what the temp is set at.The re-circ light goes on and off OK and I'm pretty certain the air con kicks in (& engine revs increase) even when warm air is being blown out.Any ideas?Jude

Aircon works even if you are heating the car. This is particularly useful in the rain when it's cold and you want to demist the car. This is why the AC turns on automatically if you hit the demist button. Airconditioning removes moisture from the air, which is why it's so good for demisting. You can run in auto mode with the air con off by simply turning the AC off via the auto button. It will still run in auto mode. You should also run your AC regularly as the refigerant contains oil which lubricates the seals in the system. It generally won't work though below 3C as a guide. In all honesty it does no harm to run your AC all the time. I tend not to run my AC when I have the window open as there's no point and when the weather is mild and dry. But when it's really wet, especially if you got wet getting into the car, then the AC is useful for demisting all the windows. Hope this helps!

Yeah like Lauren says, the AC runs independent of the Auto mode so it will remain on when you've got it on in Auto mode and it will remain off if you've got it off in Auto mode, no matter the temperature etc.Apologies for taking this slightly off topic but I take it that the air filters are the cause for the musky damp smell when you don't turn on the AC after a long time after rain etc?

Thanks Lauren, must stop comparing the BRZ to how my old Impreza worked :( Just seems a little bizarre that the air con comes on when it's brass monkeys outside. I'll just run it in auto mode and not full auto and I'm sure I can manage to press the windscreen demist button when required!