Sign in to follow this  
CHOSENMAN007

INITIAL THOUGHTS! Dunlop SportMaxx RT tires. 215/45/17

Just had these installed after the meet! First I took the car to the services to make sure I was running at 36psi all around! Tested and gave it the beans! OMG I was taken back. After a bit of scrubbing in the tires where sticky but it had even more feel to the wheel. Turn in was rapid and getting the tail out was still possible but you have to provoke the cars balance a lot more. The car slid on tight round- abouts but did it with a feeling of much more control.Overall I am pleased to the max! with only the Primacy Hp's to compare it to on the "86" The Dunlops are in a different league and yet still keeping the characteristics of the car!

Yes mate as I will hardly use the 86! Will only be using the Lexus mainly during winter. But if there is no snow or ice I will take the 86 out for a tick over!By the way I forgot to mention with a speedo swim race timer I clocked my 0-60 at 6.9.(Only a partial tire Curp) hardly nothing really. Conditions where dry and on a flat! Now there are many variables with what I did but I did the run 4 times with pretty identical times. It took a couple of runs to get it just right at first as trying to look at your speedo and press a button when it hits 60 is nails! I choose 60 not 62mph as 60 was easier to spot on the timer. Can my times be correct? Just putting on sportier tires I have dropped pretty much 0.5 to 0.7 (hundredths) of a second of the manufacturers stated time. Am I wrong or are the Primacy HP's that lacking in initial grip! ? Bewildered here guys!

Good news! Interestingly EVO's long term GT go the same tyres fitted and they certainly seem pleased with the initial results. :+:

Well if Evo say they are good then my review must be right then! happy days!

The speedo over-reads though so you'd need to hit an indicated 64mph or so to get to 60mph and you will hit the limiter I believe in 2nd before you get to 60mph so you need to grab 3rd gear. I think five hundredths of a second is more likely variance and not any significant really.

I've always believed that the quoted 0-60 times were naff and were just a safety time or something as there have been numerous reports of quicker times than the stated time, plus with gripper tyres, less wheel spin, more traction to reach 60 sooner! But glad you're enjoying the tyres, you'll have to give us another review later after you've got more miles on them!

Another thing to consider is that new tyres always tend to feel better. I'd be interested in what you think after a few weeks. Particularly when you've driven it a bit in the wet.

I've always believed that the quoted 0-60 times were naff and were just a safety time or something as there have been numerous reports of quicker times than the stated time, plus with gripper tyres, less wheel spin, more traction to reach 60 sooner! But glad you're enjoying the tyres, you'll have to give us another review later after you've got more miles on them!

Mate defo Kethos! Got a drive planned around Wiltshire this week.

Yes mate they are great! As Lauren saideven Evo mag (Jethro) fitted the same tires to their longterm Gt 86 and had nothing but positive praise for them. If you order these tire's make sure and make sure again that they do not send you Sport Maxx TT's. The RT's are the newer model which is phasing out the TT's and are far more superior according to my personal research on-line.