lewism1

Clutch, again

Hi,

Several months ago, my clutch made a nasty squeaking/squawking noise when pressing and depressing the pedal. All signs pointed towards clutch release bearing. Took it to Fensport, they said same. They replaced the clutch - and the noise went. Problem solved.

However, the noise is back after 2,000ish miles. I don't drive like an idiot, I don't ride my clutch, I don't go out drifting. I've never had a clutch fail on me before. This leads me to thinking maybe it never was the release bearing, and perhaps just the fork? I imagine when fensport replaced my clutch, they greased up the fork - which is why it didn't squeak after new clutch was put in.

Any ideas? Really don't want to fork out more money on this if I don't have to.

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

Is that the squeak you're talking about?

Yes mate, that's exactly it. I did what he suggested in the video and greased the fork up, but I could only reach so much of it - perhaps I didn't do a good enough job?

I called Fensport up and their suggestion was to give the car a good thrashing as it just may be the clutch not being bedded in yet. I'd have thought 2k miles it would be by now?!

It's a pain in the arse to grease apparently. I didn't even bother doing anything with mine, other than making a noise, it's not a problem.

Of the ones I've heard, we've all had it appear after track days so thrashing it isn't going to stop it. It'll just need greasing properly/thoroughly but will probably start squeaking again at some point in the future...

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's a pain in the arse to grease apparently. I didn't even bother doing anything with mine, other than making a noise, it's not a problem.

Of the ones I've heard, we've all had it appear after track days so thrashing it isn't going to stop it. It'll just need greasing properly/thoroughly but will probably start squeaking again at some point in the future...

Okay, so it's not something you think is likely to develop into a bigger problem?

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don't think so, not heard anyone have any issues with it... I've since had my clutch replaced and it's not started squeaking since but it squeaked for a good 2 or 3 years without issue

Okay, that's reassuring to know! Didn't want to dip into my NA package fund! Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

I've experienced squeak-like behaviour on another car when the clutch slave seals started to go. That was 8 years old though, so probably not the issue here.

You know your clutch slave is the problem when the pedal doesn't come back up!

15 minutes ago, nerdstrike said:

I've experienced squeak-like behaviour on another car when the clutch slave seals started to go. That was 8 years old though, so probably not the issue here.

You know your clutch slave is the problem when the pedal doesn't come back up!

That's not happened, yet!

16 minutes ago, gavin_t said:

Mine does this.

Assumed it was just the fork/linkage mechanism and thought nothing more of it. Been fine for over 3 years and not got worse, can only hear it if the window is open anyway :lol:

I can hear it in the cabin right under my foot, bloody annoying! 

12 minutes ago, lewism1 said:

I can hear it in the cabin right under my foot, bloody annoying! 

Must be louder in yours. I can only hear it occasionally if I am in traffic using the clutch with the window open.
Get it up on a ramp and give it all a good greasing :)