jedmondson

jedmondson's GT86

I’ve had my GT86 for a bit over two years now and have been lurking on the forum but not really posted much.

Now that I’ve actually done some stuff to the car I thought it was time to start one of these threads.

The first photo I took of the car after I picked it up from Oakmere Toyota in Northwich. They were very helpful and fixed up some small damage to one of the wing mirrors. When I first went to look at it I met the lady selling it who by coincidence worked with my dad and was trading it in for a red aero.

It was nearly a year later before I did any mods. A friend of mine purchased a modified GT86 second hand and peaked my interest.

The first mod was the red Valenti rear lights and bumper light. (My dad’s 124 lurking in the garage).

Due to insurance reasons not much got done for a while apart from a new Raceseng reverse lockout and Perrin shift knob.

The next update was to fill out those arches a bit better so some JR5 wheels from Tarmac Sportz went on. 18x8, et35, hyper-black with 225/40/18 Yokohama Advan 105s. 

I had played around with both wrapping and plasti-dipping the interior plastics of the car but had not settled on anything, so in the end I went for the black interior pieces all round and black VSC/TRC buttons.

Shortly after changing insurance companies, several aesthetic mods happened. Silvertec chrome bulbs for all front indicators, Beatsonic V2 aerial, Fensport rear diffuser, BRZ fender garnishes and a few decals here and there.

Recently I also had the infamous cam plate leak, I had it resealed at RRG after the last service but only a couple of months later it was leaking again so I decided to try an aftermarket solution, the RacerX plate ordered from Fensport. I didn’t take any photos of this but there is a video online, so far there are no leaks but it’s only been on a few weeks, so time will tell.

The latest addition to the car is coilovers, I bought some HKS hipermax GT4 coilovers and Superpro lower control and toe arms from another forum member. Myself and a friend got these installed, which wasn’t too bad apart from the stock drop links, I also didn’t manage the toe arms with the time I had and how stuck they were but I ended up with enough adjustment on the stock ones for now.

They currently seem to still be settling in somewhat but so far I’m fairly impressed, I was worried about coilovers for my daily driver but these are very tolerable currently and I still have a fair bit of adjustment room on them.

Future plans:

Tuning developments NA package to sort out the torque dip and a bit more poke top end.

I’d like to look at a bigger brake setup, even if it is mostly for aesthetic reasons, but can't really justify the cost.

Thanks for reading.

So I took advantage of some black Friday deals and had the car in at Tuning Developments. I had their well known NA package with the EL manifold, their resonated cat-back system, MTEC shift springs, Powerflex shift bush and while I was there I got them to have a look at the alignment as I had my suspicions that the last place had made a mess of it.

The NA kit has made a nice difference flattening out the torque curve, the manifold and exhaust makes the car sound awesome. I’m very happy with the volume, pretty subtle while cruising and pretty shouty when you put your foot down.

The springs and shift bush make a nice difference, a bit more notchy and I’ve noticed an improvement in my second to third shift when moving on.

They also confirmed my thoughts about the suspension and it was a mess so they sorted that out too, feels 100% better to drive now.

Overall very impressed with the work and especially their customer service, Mike was extremely helpful via email and phone throughout the process.

Looking great, thinking about paying Mike a visit in the new year for the na package too. Where did you source the BRZ trims for the front wings?