mattt

Forced induction & MOT friendliness

Morning all

I have the TD NA package (UEL) with the secondary cat in place and an Invidia Q300 catback.

I'm considering forced induction in the future but want to retain a cat for MOT friendliness. When I spoke to Mike about this he indicated it wouldn't be possible with the TD turbo setup as the standard cat would be restrictive and would likely fail in time.

Has anyone achieved forced induction with a cat that allows an MOT pass?

Cheers for the replies.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

If you're that concerned you could always go catless and switch it out before your MOT. Just make sure it's nice and hot before they test it or it'll likely fail.

Sorry I should have mentioned that I don't have the space equipment and time to swap the cat in and out, hence would prefer a solution that has a permanent cat.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

The standard cat is specified for 200 bhp of exhaust gas flow (and headroom - we know you can gain 10-15% just be derestricting the exhaust). You can try to pump 300 bhp through it, but it'll choke it down and get crazy hot. I recall the Cosworth stage 2 claimed 260 bhp without a change of exhaust, but 280 if you took the matching exhaust.

I can only imagine you'd have to get custom piping done and get a bigger/higher flow cat fitted, but you'd have to find the space to mount it, and would it pass the MOT? Perhaps a cat the last Impreza or another higher power boxer would suit? It all sounds time-consuming...