Rabbs

Fuel Cooler

I went away for a 10 day tour to Italy recently as I do every year in my car, this is the second in the GT86 and with my SC fitted, it did take a lot of abuse but one very hot day I had a report of a miss-fire on cylinder #2, it seemed to cure itself after about 10-15 minutes after turning the engine off but my friends suggested a fuel cooler which makes sense if fuel overheating was the problem which sounds likely?

Has anyone fitted a fuel cooler? If so do you have any recommendations on which size, make to use and where best to fit, I'm assuming cooling the fuel on the return is best?

Thanks

Never heard of one of those. Really don't get why that has been suggested. Surely it's the intake air that needs better cooling. Are you sure the 'report' do you mean an error code, so you had an EML on? It will tell you what it is with an OBD reader. It sounds more likely that a coil pack may have overheated, which they can do. 

I've honestly found outside temperature makes very little difference. What type of Supercharger do you have fitted. I know the Sprintex is marginal on cooling. 

I had torque running with an odb2 reader but I can't remember the exact code but I remember it pointing at the coil or spark plug for the fault, I'm glad it wasn't as I didn't relish the thought of removing either in that heat!

That probably explains the lack of info on the web then if it's not a real issue.

It's a Harrop Supercharger.

It's never happened before and not since so I suppose it could have just been dirt in the fuel maybe.

Thanks for the reply.

I suppose they could have been implying some kind of charge cooler, like methanol injection or a regular intercooler. Never heard of cooling fuel prior to injection, unless you're aiming for orbit.

It will be the coil pack, not the spark plug. They are £87 for a new one. About a 15 minute job to fit one if you know what you're doing. Next time it comes up (and it will) get the error code. Coil packs do go. I've had all four replaced in 110K miles. Only one of those totally failed, the other three just threw an EML with no other real noticable effect. 

It won't be dirt in the fuel. That just doesn't happen. 

Im with Lauren on this one, if it misfired then its spark. Its likely either a spark plug or the coil pack. 

We know that coil packs are affected by heat so it does point towards that. 

Best not to remove code until you make a note of it! Screenshot will do!