Sign in to follow this  
Adam9

Bolts for tuning developments exhaust -help needed

I'm in the middle of fitting a tuning developments exhaust which I picked up second hand, I've got right to the end only to realise the OEM spring bolts don't seem to fit through the holes at the cat end. Does it normally come with different bolts for this connection?

Does it still use the donut gasket? If so you will need spring bolt, if its just a flaaaannnnge you can use normal bolts with the necessary washers.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Still has the donut gasket so I'm fairly sure it should use spring bolts but I'm surprised the collar on my OEM bolts is about half a mill too wide to go all the way through the plate on the TD exhaust

Hi Adam,

• You will need longer bolts for the TD. Something like M8x80 or M8x100 High tensile along with Penny washers. You can reuse the OEM nuts. I have some of these at home if you are stuck, otherwise your local Screwfix or Toolstation will have some.
  • Bolts
  • Penny washers

That's great, thank you vanko. So not spring bolts then? I'm surprised it uses the donut gasket in that case. I will make a trip down to Screwfix tomorrow!

If you don't use the gasket it will be blowing badly from there. 

I used these bolts and washers along with the original springs (that's why you need the washers so the spring can sit on them). 

If it is the same as the scorpion system I have just fitted then you can use the springs and bolts but it was a bastard to get them compressed enough to get the nuts on. I got lucky on the drivers side with plumbers grips to get the nut on but the passengers side was harder as there isn't as much space. In the end I used a quick clamp as a spreader and used it to compress the spring with one end on the bolt head and the other against the underside of the car. A real faff but got there in the end 

12 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

If it is the same as the scorpion system I have just fitted then you can use the springs and bolts but it was a bastard to get them compressed enough to get the nuts on. I got lucky on the drivers side with plumbers grips to get the nut on but the passengers side was harder as there isn't as much space. In the end I used a quick clamp as a spreader and used it to compress the spring with one end on the bolt head and the other against the underside of the car. A real faff but got there in the end 

The problem I had is the holes in the collar aren't big enough to fit the wider part of the spring bolt through so even without the springs it wont work. I'm going to do as Vanko mentioned but looking at the way its built I think I could just use normal bolts. The collar is loose on the mid pipe so even with normal bolts the pipe is free to rotate a little.

12 minutes ago, Adam9 said:

The problem I had is the holes in the collar aren't big enough to fit the wider part of the spring bolt through so even without the springs it wont work. I'm going to do as Vanko mentioned but looking at the way its built I think I could just use normal bolts. The collar is loose on the mid pipe so even with normal bolts the pipe is free to rotate a little.

...or drill the holes out to accommodate the bolts 

12 minutes ago, Andrew Smith said:

...or drill the holes out to accommodate the bolts 

That did occur to me but I don't have a drill bit big enough. I think the home made spring bolt solution is probably the easiest way out of this for now. I need it ready for Japfest Donnington Tomorrow!

I got 70mm myself because I couldn't get 100mm at the time too. I think even TD use similar bolts when they are installing the systems brand new. You can spot it on their YouTube video for the exhaust.  The high tensile bolts will withstand all the vibration from the engine too so it will last long time.