Sign in to follow this  
benmmellor

Another Reversing Camera option?

I bought one from aliexpress a while ago for 8 quid. I never fitted  as it sticks out too much and it looks ugly (personal opinion). I also found out that in the cable there is PCB board which brings the 12V to 6V for the camera. As our HU units have 6V power for camera on the back I modified the PCB board so I didn't need to get 12V from elsewhere to power the camera. I also got a cable made up from parts I got from RS Components to connect the camera's signal and power supply to the HU. If you are savvy with the soldering iron I can find what the part numbers were. 

3 minutes ago, vanko25 said:

If you are savvy with the soldering iron I can find what the part numbers were. 

Lol - nope not even going to attempt that ! This is going to connect into the new AVH-5800DAB HU I got so hopefully a lot easier to wire in... though it may sit on my shelf for a while until I get a clear weekend to spend time fitting this if it looks to work fine when I test it.

15 minutes ago, vanko25 said:

I bought one from aliexpress a while ago for 8 quid. I never fitted  as it sticks out too much and it looks ugly (personal opinion). I also found out that in the cable there is PCB board which brings the 12V to 6V for the camera. As our HU units have 6V power for camera on the back I modified the PCB board so I didn't need to get 12V from elsewhere to power the camera. I also got a cable made up from parts I got from RS Components to connect the camera's signal and power supply to the HU. If you are savvy with the soldering iron I can find what the part numbers were. 

How much does it stick out?

I'm handy with a soldering iron so adapting it would be no bother...

I am trying to find a photo of it on the car but must have deleted it.

Regarding the modification, there is kind of a junction where the power and signal cables get into one if I am not wrong. You need to cut it open with Stanley knife and measure across the resistors for voltage drop (should see 12V one side 6ish the other side). Then simply unsolder the resistor and bridge it. 

For the HU cable I used this and these. On the other side I had yellow RCA for the signal & DC jack for the power.  It worked fine when I tested it but never went round fitting it as didn't fancy the look of it. But this will work even with a standard camera that needs to be fitted to the plastic trim. 

P.S. When I get home I will try to take photos of the cable.