Sign in to follow this  
JakeGT86

Oil?

So I need to top up my oil and OW-20 is obviously the one Toyota recommend however it’s costly and hard for me to get a hold off. As it’s a secondhand car I’m not sure what oil the car was last topped up with, might be able to check in all the sheets of service documents I have but I’m too lazy to go through it all. Will I be okay to top up with 5W-30 or will it have any affects on the car besides maybe worse fuel economy?? 

The manual says its ok to use 5w30, but 0w20 preferred.

I've just put 5w30 in for the summer as I use it on track, and this gives better oil pressure when the oil is at high temperatures.

I think if you're under warranty whatever oil you go for should be a low emissions type as that is what Toyota specify. I just went with Opie Oils recommendation as he checks all the specs etc for you.

On 09/03/2018 at 6:51 PM, knightryder said:

How much do you need? I have a top up bottle of the Toyota branded stuff, not sure how much is in there but I can look tomorrow and would happily do it for delivery costs if it's enough.

Thanks a lot for the offer, it’s really appreciated  but it needs quite a bit so I’m not sure if that bottle will fill. It’s also a bonus to have some spare so I’m gunna try to find some so I have a surplus