Sign in to follow this  
infernouk

Feeding amp with signal from OEM headunit?

Hey guys,

Started a new thread as this is beyond the scope of my bloated previous post. Hope thats ok and I think this could be useful to have separate for searching

Im now looking at installing a boot amplifier and want to drive my front door speakers and a sub from it, I will remove the rear speakers entirely as they are pointless. 

Do I have any options here to use OEM wiring to achieve this? 

I know ill need a power cable from battery ran to the boot, thats fine, but in terms of signal to the amp from the headunit, can i splice the old rear cables for this? 

The I assume i can connect the fronts back to the amp in the boot and a sub to the amp, and im just going to need to run the on/off signal and the audio signal to the amp?

Sorry if i misunderstand this im just trying to piece it together from the various guides online, there arent may that are amping front speakers, mostly just adding a sub, so its tricky to know what applies here.

Cheers for the clarification on how it all goes together 

Hi mate, 
I connected one of these to the right rear speaker. Instead of splicing wires I managed to solder the inputs to the speaker connections. Then ran the RCA low out to my Mazda 6 BOSE sub that is in the spare wheel well. 

1 minute ago, vanko25 said:

Hi mate, 
I connected one of these to the right rear speaker. Instead of splicing wires I managed to solder the inputs to the speaker connections. Then ran the RCA low out to my Mazda 6 BOSE sub that is in the spare wheel well. 

would it be possible to do this but run them to the amp first then? rather than direct to a sub? though i feel this only solved amping a sub rather than the doors too

I probably missed the bit where you want to power all the speakers. I think these cables could do the job. The connectors will plug in on the existing wiring to the speakers and the loose ends will go to the cables from the amp. I have seen someone on here put amp under one of the seats. Then you will need the same cable to connect to the HU then the Hi-Lo convert to send signal to the amp. 

Something like that 

image.png.979bf215637f6baca3e413aa222dcff6.png

If you get this one you'd just run RCA cable to the amp. Then the outs of the amp probably will need to be sliced up to the cables on the 10 pin connector or find an adapter cable. Here is a the pinout. 

Toyota 10-pin and 6-pin harness diagram