LeviDane

Fensport Reverse Camera Installation

I am in the middle of installing the reverse camera from Fensport. The instructions do not make much sense and after searching appears to be for an older set up.

I have connected the harness to the back of the HU and all cables. I have run the cables to the boot.

I cannot figure out what to do with the two red cables randomly sticking out. And the long black/red cable that runs with the video cable. They have no connectors on. What do i do with these?

a2085dab-dfa6-4f40-b017-ed013947c4a8.thumb.jpg.1b68c5c4e9462a9c120ed0a50eca985d.jpg

f675678b-947b-4c75-8096-8fcabba8e09e.thumb.jpg.b6a323267b1e08fc75eabbf8677e3b46.jpg

Also where do i attach the earthing point to? The cable is not too long and i cant see where to put it. Any advice would be welcomed

I have no experience of the fensport kit. But basic reverse cameras have the 2 red wires off one wire which I think is so that you can connect the camera to a feed that becomes live when you select reverse and they give an option at either end to give more options about using the feed from near the head unit or reverse light and you would connect one end and tape off the unused end.

I guess the other positive would be to power up the screen when reverse is selected (again for the basic generic camera).

Can you connect your own earth wire to the transmission tunnel or metal dash brackets and connect the harness wire to that with a connector block? 

Not sure though if this will help you with the fensport kit and working with the std  head unit but hope it will help!

Thanks for the reply. I ended up taking out the entire front dash and I found a place to put the earth bolt. I also figured out how to do the camera and its working. The camera isn't secure atm because the drill bit they provide is too small. I will fix it over the next few days I'm too tired now 

I'm doing the kit now and in exactly the same quandary. 

What did you do with those 2 red wires behind the HU? 

And did that the then mean when you selected reverse the camera activated or am I missing a crucial part...i am utterly confused atm

14 minutes ago, DB822 said:

I'm doing the kit now and in exactly the same quandary. 

What did you do with those 2 red wires behind the HU? 

And did that the then mean when you selected reverse the camera activated or am I missing a crucial part...i am utterly confused atm

The two red wires need to be connected together. Once you do that the camera works when you put it in reverse. 

I don't like the angle on the camera though it's really poor

22 minutes ago, DB822 said:

Crimped them together. 

For some reason it's still not coming up. 

I'm gonna contact fensport - got to be a dud camera or something

Unless you've got any ideas??

Check all your connections. The harness that goes in the back of the HU was really hard for me to get in. I had to use so much force I was sure it was going to break lol it doesn't click in either. 

Just make sure everything is connected properly. The instructions are pretty poor which doesn't help

Ye the whole issue was sorted in the end. 

Turned out there was a faulty camera. Fensport replaced it for free and were good with troubleshooting to ensure they sent out the right part.

Another thing I noticed was the system needs a very solid ground up and put of the way. So if nothing works post install check that out for starters

Cool, I'm pretty un-electrical, are you running an earth to the frame?

Ye the whole issue was sorted in the end. 
Turned out there was a faulty camera. Fensport replaced it for free and were good with troubleshooting to ensure they sent out the right part.

Another thing I noticed was the system needs a very solid ground up and put of the way. So if nothing works post install check that out for starters

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

From what I remember there were 2 grounds. 1 for the camera and 1 for the transformer behind the head unit. 

I can't remember where I put the one behind the head unit but for the camera I hooked it up to a.massive bolt on the chassis behind the nearside brakelight

2 hours ago, DB822 said:

From what I remember there were 2 grounds. 1 for the camera and 1 for the transformer behind the head unit. 

I can't remember where I put the one behind the head unit but for the camera I hooked it up to a.massive bolt on the chassis behind the nearside brakelight

Cool - is it pretty obvious from the rear of the car? And whats the picture like?

Cheers