Sign in to follow this  
Mya X Ferron

Coil Packs (eye roll)

So last time we road tripped to Austria we managed to push Kuro hard enough to trigger an EML. The torque app let us know it was coil A... This time around, you guessed it, coil B... 

This is all good and well (since it's a known issue and we still have a couple of months warranty left so it'll be sorted January, hopefully). 

My question is, is there some kind of after market solution to the issue of coil packs? Sooner or later this is going to happen again and when it does, wouldn't mind dropping some cash on a better solution. 

Thanks in advance! 

Is yours a pre-2014?

Toyota replaced the wiring with an updated coilpack connector design on the updated cars. There seem to be hardly anyone having issues with those. The next time it happens to me I'm going to try to push them to replace the wiring.

You could also try wrapping the coils in heat resistant tape, don't know how well this works.

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

There are these ones: 

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/okada-projects-plasma-direct-coil-packs-2013-2014-ft86.html#.Wj9jMCOcbfY

Not a cheap fix really. Trouble is I don't know anyone who has fitted them. 

Yea, expected it not to be that's why we're looking at it as more of a long term investment since we can't rely on warranty for much longer :/

19 minutes ago, maurice said:

Is yours a pre-2014?

Toyota replaced the wiring with an updated coilpack connector design on the updated cars. There seem to be hardly anyone having issues with those. The next time it happens to me I'm going to try to push them to replace the wiring.

You could also try wrapping the coils in heat resistant tape, don't know how well this works.

Yep, it's 2013. Haven't heard about any changes to the coil pack (but that's because I haven't looked, lol). Will have to have a look at that and garner some more info before I go making demands at Toyota :D

Some internet info. seems to indicate that changin the coil packs and wiring to that fitted to MY2015 on might fix the issue.

I haven’t had a chance to look yet but seems there must some sort of fix as early, pretty standard, cars have been in one make races series for ages. They won’t put up with CEL’s surely?

8 hours ago, Carver said:

This talks about the wiring issue 

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81613

Thanks for this, will definitely have a word with them about the TSB when I'm back in the UK. Along with the rust issue on a section of the window (can't remember the name right now :D thanks Christmas drinks haha).