jevvy

Wheel nuts overtightened

Had a service with yoursleves recently and traveled 2 hours for the pleasure. Everything was fine with the service however unfortunately when I went to take my wheels off today I found that all the nits were 200nm+ (electronic snap on torque wrench) a few nuts came off twisted and one locking wheel nut is stuck fast and the outer shim of the wheel nut came off leaving the inner part, it’s the star locking one from aero cars with oz ultraleggeras, the wheels on the car have been sold and we’re due to be collected but one is currently stuck. Any idea the best way to get it off 

managed to get it off after using 3 sockets hammering over the nut and eventually it came loose. Im now down 2 afternoons and 3 sockets : ( defenitely deserve some sort of toyota fleece or a gt86model car memorabelia imo : )

1 hour ago, jevvy said:

: ( defenitely deserve some sort of toyota fleece or a gt86model car memorabelia imo : )

Yeah definitely! This is just pure laziness! No need for it. Torque settings are there for a reason, not for when you feel like it.

Pet hate of mine this!, makes me boil at one of my local tyre places where they go crazy with the windy gun when refitting wheels making them mental tight! then think they are doing right thing by checking with torque wrench, obviously they think a torque wrench is for making sure its not loose but not for checking how tight they are in first place, i always take my wheels in loose these days or go elsewhere if i have time.

I assume there’s no real damage if the person next taking it off is another mechanic with an impact cabable of not chewing up the nut but it’s not good practice. I mainly mentioned it hopping it would stop it happening to anyone else as everything at rrg was above and beyond and I’d still reccomend them but I’d say request them to be gentle with your nuts. But when it’s the last wheel you come to and you have to wait until the day after to go to the shop and go through 3 Halfords multihex spckets hammering away til one stuck enough to not twist off is when it suddenly becomes the worst thing in the world 😂😂

1 hour ago, jevvy said:

I assume there’s no real damage if the person next taking it off is another mechanic with an impact cabable of not chewing up the nut but it’s not good practice. I mainly mentioned it hopping it would stop it happening to anyone else as everything at rrg was above and beyond and I’d still reccomend them but I’d say request them to be gentle with your nuts. But when it’s the last wheel you come to and you have to wait until the day after to go to the shop and go through 3 Halfords multihex spckets hammering away til one stuck enough to not twist off is when it suddenly becomes the worst thing in the world 😂😂

Over tightening can have some serious consequences, there is a big chance of snapping a stud or stripping a nut which is then a real mission to sort, especially with locking nuts which are often a bit weak I find, im sure it was a minor glitch as RRG seem to have a good rep :)