Sign in to follow this  
Kryostasis

Tein vs KW

Hi all. I'm wanting to get some coilovers for the 86 and wondering if you guys could give any opinions on selection?

I've narrowed down to either Tein Flex A's or KW V3's, has anyone had experience with both or even just the KW's? I've seen a lot of praises sung around Flex A's but I know KW is a solid brand and I can get them at cost price so it wouldn't cost me much more to get them instead of Flex A's.

So yeah, what are peoples thoughts/experiences/preferences on these 2?

16 minutes ago, Kryostasis said:

Hi all. I'm wanting to get some coilovers for the 86 and wondering if you guys could give any opinions on selection?

I've narrowed down to either Tein Flex A's or KW V3's, has anyone had experience with both or even just the KW's? I've seen a lot of praises sung around Flex A's but I know KW is a solid brand and I can get them at cost price so it wouldn't cost me much more to get them instead of Flex A's.

So yeah, what are peoples thoughts/experiences/preferences on these 2?

You've got Good coilovers & Premium coilovers.. KWs are the premium ones. Sure Tein Flex A's are really good, but KW keep proving that it's not just performance quality you pay for, but also longevity, it's like with other premium brands like HKS, Cusco or Ohlins. Simply put, KWs will likely outlast the Teins. 

5 minutes ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

You've got Good coilovers & Premium coilovers.. KWs are the premium ones. Sure Tein Flex A's are really good, but KW keep proving that it's not just performance quality you pay for, but also longevity, it's like with other premium brands like HKS, Cusco or Ohlins. Simply put, KWs will likely outlast the Teins. 

Thanks for the insight Lucas, really appreciate it.

4 hours ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

Whilst KW's are more premium, I wouldn't have any concerns about TEIN's. I've had them on my car for around 80K miles now. Longetivity is the reason why I chose TEIN and went with a twin tube design. It's simply well proven. The EDFC Active Pro has been faultless too. 

Flex A's are more comparable on price and features to KW's sub-brand coilover - the ST XTA. 

Teins don't seem to wear out any faster than KW's but seem to start looking shabby externally much quicker. I had KW V1's on an Impreza for three years and the stainless steel bodies still looked as good as new. You won't get this with Teins, but they are at a much lower price point for comparable features.

1 hour ago, Kryostasis said:

Thanks guys, so what i'm hearing is either way i'm pretty much making the right decision and i'm in for treat! But if the price is close then KW is the better shout.

If you can get KW V3s at cost price its a no brainer.