Nemesis

Rust prevention

Not sure where this should go but has anyone used a Dinitrol rust prevention kit on their car? When I fitted mudflaps on my car last week I realised the sill is an open squarish tube where water can get in which probably would be a good idea to spray cavity wax down it. I've not been under my car yet but how hard would it be to spray underseal underneath with the car on ramps using either Dinitrol rattle cans or borrowing my neighbours compressor & using a proper spray gun

I don't know if this is relevant any more, but I used the Dinitrol kit on my other car. I purchased the large car kit and it came with:

• A spray adapter for my compressor, which then screws into the various tubes.
  • A single rust conversion rattle can (which I've not used as I was cutting rust out and welding fresh in)
  • Several tubes of heavy duty spray
  • Some tubes of cavity wax

From my observations:

• Don't get this stuff on you, you will remove skin taking it off
  • It seems pretty good and sticks to the car well
  • Your arms take a beating holding the spray gun
  • You use a lot of it (well I did)
  • The cavity wax was runny and the car 'bleeds' for a while afterwards so don't do it on a light covered driveway
  • Don't use rattle cans, whilst I've not used Dintirol from a rattle can I found that overall it just clogged up the nozzle rather than covered what I wanted
  • I bought a compressor with a large tank primarily for this job (and now I have air-tools and the essential buzz-gun for the bzzz bzzz noise. I've never used it, just go bzzz bzzz with it :) )

In terms of use:

• This was the first time I've tried anything like this and I found it fairly easy. I only did the rear of the other car and it was on axel stands, so I was mostly lying on my back, and I spent around 4 hours.
  • The nozzle on the spray gun is fairly accurate: I got what I aimed at and was able fairly quickly to direct the spray as desired.
  • Do it on a warm day or heat the tubes in hot water otherwise they don't mix well
  • Don't cover rust and think it's done. if it's already rusty, fix the rust, seal the repair and then once it's repaired properly, then use the under sealant stuff. Just covering the rust will mean at some point water will continue to rust; water outside can't get in... water already in, can't get out.

Finally, I've absolutely no issues doing this to my GT86 at some point.