KevinA

Cadwell Lap

I felt much the same about the shorter final drive after comparing mine to Dans Harrop with the shorter FD. Some corners you were in a nicer gear, others the stock was better. Felt a bit like swings and roundabouts. 

Theoretically in a straight line with instant gear changes a short FD will keep the average power to the wheels higher and therefore accelerate faster but sacrifice top speed (A supercharged car can hit the red line in 6th). 

I do think Kevin has a very good point though, gear changes do cost time so you have to factor that into the equation. 

The best thing about the shorter FD for me is less downshifts to second required, but otherwise its definitely a horses for courses thing and where it gains in some situations/scenarios it loses in others.

54 minutes ago, Foulsmell said:

Found this which may be of interest. It relates to the 4.88 FD but give a better indication than a bar chart I think.

4.88 would be well short and lively 

54 minutes ago, Foulsmell said: Found this which may be of interest. It relates to the 4.88 FD but give a better indication than a bar chart I think.

4.88 would be well short and lively 

Yeah I have 4.67 on N/A car. That’s plenty. 4.88 would be too much.

On 10/5/2017 at 9:31 AM, Foulsmell said:

Was it this?

I was interested in this, so I did a few calculations of acceleration over various speed ranges for the different final drives. There are a couple of simplifying assumptons: no wheel slip, all tractive effort is used to accelerate the car, car mass of 1240 kg, shift times are 0.5s.

58b47f66de282_GT86Acceleration.thumb.png.280e3bf7cfc1f3ff381a6a925f30c634.png

There's a lot less in it than I expected, across a variety of acceleration scenarios. Something I didn't graph that's interesting is that the fastest setup for a 40-80 pull is 4.1 final drive as you can do it in third. It;s very slightly faster than a 5.1 FD in fourth over those speeds.

51b7438fe7383d27a6ea1c54fec22dce.png

Very interesting, too many variables to really say what is best. Think it will be circuit orientated and driver choice, thanks for the info.

6 hours ago, KevinA said:

Roll on Snetterton, probably be wet again :)

Gutted, can't make this one - will have to be next year now :(  

Have fun everyone!