Cerec1

Hello from Bristol Hi

Hi folk

just joined up even though we've owned our Blue 13 plate GT86 for over 3 years. 

Decided it's time to improve the torque and get a slightly more sporty exhaust note. 

Didnt plan on any more than that until I spotted the 20% discount on the Cosworth kit. Now I'm having doubts that missing out on this deal will cause massive regrets pretty quickly. 

Im not after massive power gains and I don't want an obnoxiously load exhaust note. 

Will I be happy with a Fensport exhaust and remap? 

I know it personal preference but some of you guys must have been in a similar situation.

Thnaks in anticipation of some input. 

Welcome.

Best thing you can do is try to get a test drive in a Cosworth car. If you go down the route of supercharging, you'll love it. Exhaust choices are very varied. The Cosworth SC will increase sound by itself, but maybe a resonated exhaust will be the way to go.

I think your problem may be similar to that of many of us over the years. If you start with an exhaust and remap, you may be a little underwhelmed and think you want more. Then you start buying manifolds, intakes etc. chasing power, never to be fulfilled. If you go down the supercharging route straight away, your initial outlay may be higher (though the 20% off makes it a good prospect), but you'll save yourself money in the long run as you won't be paying for 3 or 4 remaps, different setups, multiple garage trips etc.

I spent close to £10k on mine over 2 years. Never thought I'd buy a turbo or supercharger, but went about as far as I could go NA, then gave in and went turbo after being quite disappointed with the car fully tuned at NA (without going forged anyway). I wished I had done it from the start.

HTH

Hello and welcome!

I see, our 20% OFF deal is getting some attention, if you want it to go faster, go for it! Cosworth kit is the best one out there. 

I think you would be happy with Fensport's exhaust and remap, or Tuning Development's even. It'll feel better, you'll get rid of the torque dip, but it won't necessarily go faster. As far as sound goes, there's a decent selection of exhaust you might like - HKS, Cobra, H&S, Greddy and more. Do some cat-back research on youTube so you get the idea of what it sounds like, and choose :) 

59 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

Welcome.

Best thing you can do is try to get a test drive in a Cosworth car. If you go down the route of supercharging, you'll love it. Exhaust choices are very varied. The Cosworth SC will increase sound by itself, but maybe a resonated exhaust will be the way to go.

I think your problem may be similar to that of many of us over the years. If you start with an exhaust and remap, you may be a little underwhelmed and think you want more. Then you start buying manifolds, intakes etc. chasing power, never to be fulfilled. If you go down the supercharging route straight away, your initial outlay may be higher (though the 20% off makes it a good prospect), but you'll save yourself money in the long run as you won't be paying for 3 or 4 remaps, different setups, multiple garage trips etc.

I spent close to £10k on mine over 2 years. Never thought I'd buy a turbo or supercharger, but went about as far as I could go NA, then gave in and went turbo after being quite disappointed with the car fully tuned at NA (without going forged anyway). I wished I had done it from the start.

HTH

Well I've not spent a bean on our car in almost 4 years other than servicing and some pretty OZ 17 wheels so it's been cheap to date. 

Any idea where I can drive a Cosworth car to get a feel? 

I really don't want to feel underwhelmed after an exhaust and tune which I'm guessing is going to cost £1500 + anyway 

5 hours ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

Hello and welcome!

I see, our 20% OFF deal is getting some attention, if you want it to go faster, go for it! Cosworth kit is the best one out there. 

I think you would be happy with Fensport's exhaust and remap, or Tuning Development's even. It'll feel better, you'll get rid of the torque dip, but it won't necessarily go faster. As far as sound goes, there's a decent selection of exhaust you might like - HKS, Cobra, H&S, Greddy and more. Do some cat-back research on youTube so you get the idea of what it sounds like, and choose :) 

Are the guys at Tuning Development as knowledgeable as The Fensport guys? 

Way closer to me in Bristol rather the Fensport. 

Spoke to Fensport last week and was very impressed with the attitude of the guy I spoke to on the phone. 

What I really don't want is a loud exhaust, I'd sacrifice a bit of power for refinement.

Edited by Cerec1
Spelling mistake. Doh.

24 minutes ago, Cerec1 said:

Well I've not spent a bean on our car in almost 4 years other than servicing and some pretty OZ 17 wheels so it's been cheap to date. 

Any idea where I can drive a Cosworth car to get a feel? 

I really don't want to feel underwhelmed after an exhaust and tune which I'm guessing is going to cost £1500 + anyway 

You'll only feel underwhelmed if you get the tuning bug. The biggest disappointment for me, was that most of my driving is done between 3-5k rpm, which is where these cars make very little torque. I spent thousands trying to improve the torque dip, and it never really worked. If you drive the car hard and rev it out to redline in every gear, the difference would be noticeable, but for those of us who don't do that, NA will never be enough.

If you spend £1500~ on an exhaust and remap, you'll maybe get 15-20hp and 15-20tq, with a slight mid range improvement, but to see any meaningful improvement, you really need a manifold, which is another £500-1000 on top. At that point, you'll be about as far as you can go NA, and the car will still only be at around 215hp (as they only make around 180-185 as standard). You'll be half way to a supercharger in terms of costs, with around 20% of the gains.

If you want to try one, best bet is to head out to one of the meets. There are quite a number of FI owners now, you'll likely run into one at a meet, especially the bigger meets. Failing that, Mark at Abbey MS has a Harrop car, which is for all intents and purposes, the same kit when it comes to power delivery. I don't know many outside of @Ade with the Cosworth kit, so unless he lives close and would meet you, I don't know what else to suggest.

As I've said in another thread, changing the manifold and losing the primary cat with a remap, makes a big difference on an NA car. I pondered it for years wondering whether it was really worth it. The torque dip became a torque peak with the TD manifold and resonated system. Gaining 40+lbft in the mid range is very noticable. Easily the best mod. A remap with just a catback and second cat delete (which I did first) did make some difference but the manifold made a much bigger difference. All of the top runners in the TSS N1 class are running the TD manifold and remap. It seems to get the best results for NA tuning compared to what else is out there and they offer it as a package on their website which makes it easy to spend your money! 

Depends if you're one of those that can't stop chasing power. Fortunately I am not and no where to stop where it comes to mods. More power is always lovely but how much do you really need it is what you need to ask yourself. 

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

As I've said in another thread, changing the manifold and losing the primary cat with a remap, makes a big difference on an NA car. I pondered it for years wondering whether it was really worth it. The torque dip became a torque peak with the TD manifold and resonated system. Gaining 40+lbft in the mid range is very noticable. Easily the best mod. A remap with just a catback and second cat delete (which I did first) did make some difference but the manifold made a much bigger difference. All of the top runners in the TSS N1 class are running the TD manifold and remap. It seems to get the best results for NA tuning compared to what else is out there and they offer it as a package on their website which makes it easy to spend your money! 

Depends if you're one of those that can't stop chasing power. Fortunately I am not and no where to stop where it comes to mods. More power is always lovely but how much do you really need it is what you need to ask yourself. 

Lauren,

Based on that experience (and maybe Mike@TD or Fensport can advise deeper) would you think an HKS catted manifold and secondary de-cat would give similar/equal or better/worse results with a re-map ?

I'm tempted down that route at the moment with an HKS EL Catted manifold and some Crawford Power blocks as I get to the end of my warranty.

3 hours ago, Lauren said:

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I'm not chasing ultimate BHP numbers, just a plumped up and flatter torque curve. 

The car is unlikely to go on track and I've no desire to attract police attention so an uneven exhaust manifold, freer flowing exhaust with a bespoke engine map might be enough for me. 

6 hours ago, benmmellor said:

Lauren,

Based on that experience (and maybe Mike@TD or Fensport can advise deeper) would you think an HKS catted manifold and secondary de-cat would give similar/equal or better/worse results with a re-map ?

I'm tempted down that route at the moment with an HKS EL Catted manifold and some Crawford Power blocks as I get to the end of my warranty.

I think you'll end up a little under what those of us made with the TD setup, but still some good increases. I think the primary cat will cost you a bit in terms of power. If you want to run a cat, why not run the stock 2nd cat or a high flow cat? The Crawford Power blocks will beef up the mid range but move your peak power down the rev range a bit. But with a decent manifold the mid range will be sorted anyway, so you have to wonder at the need for the extensions to your inlet manifold with the Crawford kit.  

4 hours ago, Cerec1 said:

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I'm not chasing ultimate BHP numbers, just a plumped up and flatter torque curve. 

The car is unlikely to go on track and I've no desire to attract police attention so an uneven exhaust manifold, freer flowing exhaust with a bespoke engine map might be enough for me. 

The manifold is best at increasing the mid-range. Similar-ish the UEL manifold will give much the same gains. So changing the manifold reaps the most benefits for day to day driving rather than the track where there is a modest increase at the top end. It does widen the power band though which is very useful for those corners where you're struggling to take a higher gear. 

If you ditch the primary cat and keep the second one, with a stock or resonated after market system it won't be too loud, but it'll sound a lot better than stock. 

28 minutes ago, Lauren said:

The manifold is best at increasing the mid-range. Similar-ish the UEL manifold will give much the same gains. So changing the manifold reaps the most benefits for day to day driving rather than the track where there is a modest increase at the top end. It does widen the power band though which is very useful for those corners where you're struggling to take a higher gear. 

If you ditch the primary cat and keep the second one, with a stock or resonated after market system it won't be too loud, but it'll sound a lot better than stock. 

Thanks for this input today. I'll be on the phone to TD in the morning..

Hi @Cerec1 - Yes I have a cosworth SC'd car. I'm over in Cambridgeshire though so a bit far perhaps but welcome to pop over for a test drive if you are passing through. 

If you can get a ride in a harrop, Sprintex or Edlebrock (are there any in the UK?) supercharged car the power delivery is very similar to the Cosworth.  Sprintex loses a bit more at the top end but that is about it.