Sign in to follow this  
CTolly

Not quite an owner yet

Hi,

The idea of a GT86/BRZ has been going round in my head for a while and finally decided I want a BRZ, though can’t really say why I want this over the GT86 except I do like the WR Blue. I have test driven a new GT86 due the rarity of the BRZ and other than obviously less power than my current Rx7 FD daily, loved everything else about it and certainly will be easier to daily than the Rx7, to me they seem to share the same ethos of lightweight, front engine, 2+2, great looking.

My only decision now is whether to buy new MY17 model or save a chunk of cash on a good used one. I like the MY17 styling tweaks but it seems looking round most of the changes are available aftermarket anyway e.g. Valenti lights, interior trim options, so I’m thinking this might be a better route.

I have seen it mentioned the engine was upgraded/strengthened for MY17, anyone know if this is true, doesn’t seem to be in any Subaru literature? Though it doesn’t seem the engine is a particular weak spot.

Chris

Welcome to the forum, Chris!

I'm pretty sure that the MY17 model has been improved everywhere outside the EU but because they couldn't meet Euro 6 norms the power train remained unchanged? But please prove me wrong if anyone knows the actual story with this one.

IMHO, as I've only purchased mine late last year - you're better of investing in aftermarket upgrades on the earlier models (especially with such massive market support) rather than paying the bigger price for the face-lift.

It has to be said though that they have brought out some nice interior features too - like the alcantara dash pieces, but I'm not really sold on the outside styling compared to the earlier model.

Thanks for the welcome. Think I'm leaning towards buying used and I've just found the Fensport website, oh dear... and I haven't even got one yet.

Chris

Sent from mTalk

Welcome to the forum,

If you're looking into a lot of aftermarket bits I'd definitely go for a low-mileage used one and use the money you saved to make it your own. And I'm not too keen with the front of the 17 model, but that's just my opinion. 

You definitely made the right choice to not be put off by the lack in power, it's an extremely fun car!

Welcome. 

I think the new BRZ looks good from what I remember. The new GT86 is still not my cup of tea in the looks. Subaru dealers are so rare so the BRZ's are quite rare too, so probably pay a little more for a 2nd hand one? 

I believe the new GT86's have one of these now. Info here... quite a good read. 

Edit: The original GT86/BRZ's are good anyway, just make a few changes. 

Buy a used 64/15 plate, manifold + filter + remap for some low down poke, new brake pads, few cosmetic mods... then the 7k you've saved can go towards fuel and trackdays  :D

When I got mine 4 years ago the car was too new to have a good used market so new was really the only option.

Thanks. I've seen a nice low mileage 65 plate that will save me 8k. Hopefully will get to look at it at the weekend. Don't plan to go mad with the mods but some of it looks quite tempting.

Welcome to the club :) I won't butt in too much on the responses already made. But if you intend to modify it somewhat extensively i'd grab a 2nd hand one and save yourself cash for just that. That said, if I didn't have one i'd probably buy new myself just because new car smell.

There is no paltry 5bhp power upgrade for the MY2017 car. However, the chassis has been strengthened in a number of places and the engine has some additional strengthening. Having driven the new car, I can report that the upshot is it's a bit more refined and the interior is nicer. If it was me I would go for the new car as it's a slightly nicer daily proposition than the old car in that where you sit to me, is important. It also rides a bit better and the chassis strengthening seems to help the NVH more than anything else. 

The BRZ still suffers from some ill thought out interior bits, though it's mainly the dash panel and stereo and that. It always seems that Subaru just don't really care as much as Toyota when it comes to how it looks and they have like with the old model, not taken the time to make the instrument cluster as nice and put in a dogs mess on the stereo surround with an ill matching passenger facia panel. The GT86 is much nicer in this respect. But your choice of course.