Cosworth Low Temp Thermostat

It allows forced induction cars to run a little cooler which in turn allows a little more ignition advance, the same is true for NA but to a lesser extent. An NA car in warm climate will be absolutely fine on the stock thermostat, Toyota/Subaru will have development tested the car in much hotter ambient temperatures than high 30's deg.C.

Yeah they're the same now, James from Amber Performance (Mishimoto distributor) mentioned it at one of the MK meets earlier this year.

It was stamped Mishimoto, but I don't think the new ones are same specification as the original Mishimoto thermostat that were having issues. Cosworth were in the process of changing suppliers so I am assuming it will be a new version manufactured by Mishimoto.

You don't need it. Seriously don't worry about it. I've did a track day at Donington in 2013, it was 37C. No problem with water temps, oil temps was a bit more tricky. Also done the Alps clockwise and anti-clockwise with temps in the mid 30's. Again no issue. 

Near Tokyo in a hired GT86 the temperature hit 49C. Again no problem. 

Anecdotally the Oem one never seems to fail whereas there's been multiple reports of the old Cosworth item going. The Mishimoto item has a lifetime warranty so you'd be a nutter to pay twice as much for the same part with less warranty. 

It does seem to offer minimal benefit in order to justify adding an extra potential failure point on the car.

If you're doing tourist laps of the ring temperatures probably won't be an issue as usual practice is to stop after 11 minutes or so to chat shit about how "I woulda beat 10 mins apart from that pesky GT3 holding me up on the carousel" before doing another lap. ;)

I've only heard of the one cosworth one going on a chap on the other forum (bought it used). His wasnt closing so engine was never getting up to temp. 

Ive heard of quite a few of the Mishi going, and when they go it stays closed which means you can overheat the engine.

I wrote a lengthy post on the other forum about them. Someone at cosworth made a cockup and didnt pay the thermostat manufacturer. With a 6 month lead time the management made the cleaver  silly decision to use the mishimoto stat. Its design was changed slightly since the failed units. When they get proper units back in a few months they will be supplying them with new kit again. I must stress it was not something the lead engineer Matt@Cosworth agreed with doing.

Regarding NEEDING a stat. It a bit like an air filter. OEM one is fine but you still change it out for a few HP. 

Cosworth measured a 2-3hp improvement over stock (N/A power) but it needs to be tuned. As DanJ said its because they can run a little more ignition advance. With the Cosworth tune, it takes this into account. The reason the stock runs so hot is because you get a little better fuel economy. 

I had the manifold off when I was fitting the Moroso (please dont ever buy one of these) so it was a fairly quick job for me to fit it then. I dont think I would bother just to fit the Tstat, but if you are taking the manifold off you might as well. 

8 hours ago, Benoxen said:

Just reading this now after installing the Mishimoto thermostat i got out of a Cosworth box this afternoon....only time will tell...

It's exactly same thing. Cosworth just charge more.