Sign in to follow this  
jevvy

Found damage on new car after a week

47 minutes ago, knightryder said:

If it's of any use, you can get the side markers for cheaper than £125. Especially if you can get 2nd hand. I believe OEM spec ones can be bought in new for ~£70 before import. Surely some solvents would remove the over-spray from them?

It's not that it's really loose as the clips buggered probably from the last repairman ripping it off. Chips away just came this morning to have a look and quoted £168 to repair the rust and touch up any bits, which seemed quite fair. But he said the damage to the wing is most likely caused by chafing of the headlight and I should take the headlight out and have a good look. No rain today so I suppose that gives me something to do. Any idea what I should be looking for behind the bumper and behind the headlight. If it turns out there's any deformity behind them is it okay if it's only minor or should I want it sorting. I'm certain the dealer wouldn't want to sort it. 

32 minutes ago, Willtl said:

I have a bit of an issue with rust (probably due to my early car days where my Ford Capri's body was basically rust, fibre glass and filler) and I can't have a car knowing it has rust or worrying that there is a potential rust entry point. For me, taking care of that is more important than ensuring paint work is 100%. I'm a bit concerned that the dealer is trying to take the cheapest option, will Chipsaway be using the correct corrosion protection or just rubbing off the rust they see?

I would ask the dealer to put in writing (an e-mail) the maximum they are prepared to pay for the repair (tell them that it is so you can show it to your local body shop so they know what budget they are working to so you don't raise suspicion). I would also ask your body shop to put in writing what they think needs to be done with the cost. This should then be your starting point for discussion - tell the dealer that the body shop has identified what needs to be done and you are happy for the dealer to do the work, but they must put in writing what has been done because if the problem comes back in the future, you need to have a record of what was done.

Please have a little look at the other reply I just did as well. The chips away guy was really helpful and said he wouldn't know until he started the job if he could remove all the rust and if he couldn't then he wouldn't be able to offer a warranty on the repair and it would be better done by a body shop. He was really 50/50 on whether he could remove all the rust. So I guess it just comes to the revised quote from the bodyshop. He said it could be caused by chafing of the headlight as it could be too snug and somethig could be deformed from the bump, like I said the bumper doesn't sit quite as flush as the other side. I suppose the only thing left to do is investgate with the bumper off and see what's going on and maybe I can get the bumper back on a bit flusher we will see. Cheers for all the advice!  While I've got the bumper I'll take some good pictures of the peeling paint and rust  and send them to the chips away man and maybe he can give me a better idea of if he would be able to remove the rust! 

8 minutes ago, jevvy said:

Please have a little look at the other reply I just did as well. The chips away guy was really helpful and said he wouldn't know until he started the job if he could remove all the rust and if he couldn't then he wouldn't be able to offer a warranty on the repair and it would be better done by a body shop. He was really 50/50 on whether he could remove all the rust. So I guess it just comes to the revised quote from the bodyshop. He said it could be caused by chafing of the headlight as it could be too snug and somethig could be deformed from the bump, like I said the bumper doesn't sit quite as flush as the other side. I suppose the only thing left to do is investgate with the bumper off and see what's going on and maybe I can get the bumper back on a bit flusher we will see. Cheers for all the advice!

This seems really wrong to me. I know you don't want to go back to the dealer, but this needs to be sorted properly. I suggest you tell the dealer your concerns and say that the evidence so far suggests an improper previous repair and this needs to be sorted properly. Tell them either they should repair it (and ensure there are photos to show what has been done) or you can get it done privately with the body shop invoicing them directly. It might be best if you put this in an e-mail and then follow up with a call. I would be furious if I bought a car and then had to start faffing about with an investigation into what is wrong with it!

1 hour ago, Willtl said:

This seems really wrong to me. I know you don't want to go back to the dealer, but this needs to be sorted properly. I suggest you tell the dealer your concerns and say that the evidence so far suggests an improper previous repair and this needs to be sorted properly. Tell them either they should repair it (and ensure there are photos to show what has been done) or you can get it done privately with the body shop invoicing them directly. It might be best if you put this in an e-mail and then follow up with a call. I would be furious if I bought a car and then had to start faffing about with an investigation into what is wrong with it!

Cars finally dried up today as it's been raining constantly since I've bought the car. My local body shop say they will take the bumper off and remove the headlight and have a proper look to tell me exactly what's wrong with it and put it in writing for me to present to the dealer. Since the car is finally dry I've noticed this along the bumper it looks essentially like cracked glue that was put on the outside. I'm unsure why as the bumper feels just as sturdy on either side. Really starting to think it was a very cheap repair. Surely I'm best to find out exactly what the problems are before I take it back to the dealer as I'm sure they would try and fob me off. 

IMG_6744.JPG

IMG_6745.JPG

IMG_6746.JPG