surrey86

o2 sensor spacer

19 hours ago, maurice said:

Has anyone got a recommendation for one of these that works? Straight or 90 degree make any difference?

Cheers

Why do you need one? Are you going to get a remap with your manifold?

If you'll get CEL due cat readiness, about only thing that will stop working - cruise control. Imho no biggie, that can wait for ecu tune, that will disable cat readiness checks.

2 minutes ago, maurice said:

Generally I avoid driving around with CEL's. I'm just looking to see if members have had an o2 sensor spacer that works for them :)

@Jared That's good to know, but sounds like that spacer isn't working for you. :(

I had a 90 degree on my Borla UEL and that ran for about 5k miles with no CEL. Worth taking into consideration!

Funnily enough my eml just turned its self off after just driving back from Cornwall but I'm going for a remap on 3rd February so i know it'll be sorted out properly then.

There are two problems with O2 spacers.

1) Just like catted aftermarket headers they are not 100% sure way to eliminate CELs. Reduce chance of getting one or prolong mileage to one, possible. Eliminate for sure? No. It's blackbox, how Toyota/Subaru written ECU code decides if primary cat works properly. By what temps (or their delta pre-post cat), by what O2 readings delta from sensors pre & after and after what time/driving modes/rpms/load .. all unknown, and worked around with some guesswork at best.

2) There are drawbacks using one in modern subaru-s. I wonder if reducing chance (1.) is really worth exchanging with those? Most people in forums suggest that "right way" on our cars is keep O2 sensors as is, simply switching off cat readiness checks.

Hence i suggested simply ignore CEL about cat if you get one and "fix" it later on in tune.

Potentially best way would be someone very smart decompiling ECU code and finding out how code blob for cat testing works and modifies accordingly for not throwing CELs on aftermarket catless headers, but very possibly no-one will do that, as they (for example Ecutek guys) may see legal action from eg. Toyota, if doing that and sharing that work for generic public to use.

Specific just to GT86/BRZ and repeated on twins tests like in linked thread about 2005+ impreza with logged AFRs and experience regarding some other codes popping up with or without O2 spacer installed? No.

But seen few posts @ft86club from guys related to ecu tuning field advising disabling cat readiness checks in tune instead of using such spacers and stating that spacers or aftermarked header primary cats are no sure solution of eliminating CELs. And have strong suspiction that subaru won't reinvent wheel for every car and once started to use some system, with high probability reusing that in cars made after. Hence would prefer to play on safe side, then experimenting how exactly is or isn't used 2ndary O2 sensor in ECU tunes of our cars.

As many installing aftermarket catless headers also go for having ecu tuned to get most out of them instead of using those +100% stock tune anyway, i don't see much reason to use O2 spacer over disabling those checks in tune. But for temporary get by if there still some time left till tune, as i wrote earlier, one may simply drive with CEL with no harm to car (except cruise ctrl).