un1eash

Aircon woes

4 months after getting my GT86 and having to get the aircon regassed it looks like the aircon has stopped working again. I noticed it making a swirling noise inside the cab when the aircon is engaged so was investigating that and realised its not actually blowing cold air again.

When it was regassed before the pressure check came back ok but obviously something isnt right. Its booked in for the recall work on the 25th and there going to look at the aircon then but I know they dont have the equipment to regas and therefore check the pressure so will wait and see what they come up with.

Should the compressor even kick in if theres no gas and the pressure is too low? I know it doesnt on the Elise.

If its a small leak im going to argue it was like that when I brought the car as holes in the condensor from foreign objects wont be covered by warranty.

It's a difficult one as the best way to have problems with aircon is not to use it, though that could have been the previous owner. I've had mine on constantly for 90K+ miles and it's just as good as it ever was. I never turn it off. 

But I hope you manage to get it sorted under warranty as it's expensive refrigerant. 

I've not turned the aircon off since getting it gassed. I'm thinking it's not a gas level issue as the compressor turns on, I've tested this by disconnecting the trinary valve which prevents the compressor turning on if the gas pressure is to low or high.

With the fact that its making a strange noise it seems more a component failure which will be sorted under warranty. 

9 minutes ago, un1eash said:

I've not turned the aircon off since getting it gassed. I'm thinking it's not a gas level issue as the compressor turns on, I've tested this by disconnecting the trinary valve which prevents the compressor turning on if the gas pressure is to low or high.

With the fact that its making a strange noise it seems more a component failure which will be sorted under warranty. 

May sound stupid but are you sure you got the correct gas when you had it re-gassed?

The 86 does not use the standard gas which most use.

Minion: it's upto late MY2014 IIRC, when in ours got back to "normal" not eco-something uber-expensive gas. There should be sticker on bonnet underside, if 1234yf, then unluckily expensive gas needed.

It is 1234yf gas, cost something like £180 for the regas that the dealer picked up the bill for.

You can't confuse the 2 as the connections are different when it comes to regassing. 

Cars been into Toyota today to have the power steering recall carried out, they also looked at the air con and found a small leak on the condenser. 

Not sure where the leak is but its covered by warranty so just waiting for the part to come in and it will get booked back in for the repair.