Sign in to follow this  
86-Rich

noise not sure what it is?

hi guys 

im a newbie and ive brought a gt86 aero about a month ago,love the car its great and really pleased with it,went away last week to cornwall did about 700 miles in 5 days,on the way back i noticed a noise,kind of like if you blew on top off a milk bottle kinda noise,seems to change on whatever road surface im on,not sure if its just road tyre noise as i have the 18 inch rims,or if its a wheel bearing gone already? cars only 10 months old and done 3,500 miles,could it just be road surface noise? only asking if maybe its a wheel bearing as ive read somewhere that wheel bearings are not great on these cars?

You do get a fair amount of road noise on these as insulation is fairly minimal compared to most modern cars. Mine is certainly sensitive to surface changes.

You could just check the tyres. On other cars I've had weird tyre noise resulting from strange tyre wear when the tracking was out.

However, Unless someone else says otherwise I shouldn't worry unless it starts getting worse. You've got plenty of warranty left of it develops further...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when i picked the car up the tyres were on about 39 psi all round,didnt know this till the other week after i had done quite a bit of driving,then on the door it says that the tyres should be at 35 psi,so ive changed that now,so maybe they have just worn in a bit strange?  will keep an eye on it if it gets worse tho,theres no shake tho the steering column or anything and seems smooth,but i have read you do get a fair amount of road noise on the 86,which doesnt bother me as its a sports car end of the day,i was just worryed if it might be a wheel bearing,but as you say i got warranty till 2020

I'd be frankly amazed if a wheel bearing had gone already. The best way to check is to drive past a concrete wall and put your window down, it sounds like chattering. I've done over 85K and not had any replaced. 

Wouldn't vary across surfaces either. Also tends to vary as you load/unload the wheel with a dodgy bearing in bends.

In any case, if it is a bearing you end up being left in no doubt as it gets worse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk