Ying86

Recommend me some tyres!

9 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

Aren't Uniroyal Michelins budget arm these days? I think those Rainsports owe a fair bit to the tastier Michelin Pilot Sports as opposed to the low rolling resistance ones we get lumbered with...

Michelin - France

Worlds number one tyre manufacturer. Own the brands Michelin, BF Goodrich, Kleber, Uniroyal* and Riken.

Continental - Germany

Owns Continental, Uniroyal*, General Tyre, Gislaved and Semperit.

* To add to confusion Uniroyal is Continental owned in Europe and Michelin owned in USA

I've been very happy with my Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2's (wet grip was more than enough to tempt me to keep them on all over the very mild winter rather than swapping to my Yoko winters that I use the year before), but there are some new versions out of a number of highly regarded performance tyres this year that may make some decisions now a little harder - the Conti SC 6, the Eagle F1 AS3, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4...

On 06/06/2016 at 10:53 PM, maurice said:

Are the v105's still playful enough in the dry?

I'm on the lookout for some practical tyres that are fun on the road and can take a 20 minute session on track without going off..

I was able to get plenty of oversteer on mine yesterday on a dry track, not a problem at all. ;)

On 12/06/2016 at 8:43 PM, Captain Duff said:

I've been very happy with my Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2's (wet grip was more than enough to tempt me to keep them on all over the very mild winter rather than swapping to my Yoko winters that I use the year before), <SNIP>...

Wait until you try some decent tyres then. ;)

I had Asy2's for a couple of years as they seemed pretty good, especially when new. They wore out very quickly though - 6,000 miles rears, maybe 8-10,000 fronts.

Yokohamas have been excellent - enough grip esp. in the wet and are lasting way better.