Sign in to follow this  
Gringosteve

Any Japanese Speakers?

Hi

I had this tattoo professionally designed a couple of years ago by Eri Takase. I'm sure she has done a good job with the romanisation etc but wanted to double check with a second pair of eyes before I get something permanently etched on my body :)

The large kanji should reflect family, the red seal should say "protect" and then the smaller kanji or romanisations of

Ste (suti)

Helen (Heren)

Sam (Samu)

Ben (Ben)

Hannah (Hanna)

Would be good to understand what the individual kanji being used to make up the names mean

Thanks

Ste (suti)

bfb71d4347a1b27889af929fb0f1250c.jpg

www.tuned.org.uk

It's been a long time since I used what limited knowledge of Japanese I have, but here goes.

The large Kanji, representing family, I believe is a symbolisation of the close bond of family, as opposed to a direct translation of the word. The "protect" is a shorthand, less formal version.

I'm not too familiar with romanisation, as they've likely been translated according to their phonetics as opposed to their meaning, however I recognise a few words being used to make up the names, I see "down", "arm" and "help" I think. I'd honestly have to brush up on my knowledge to give you a real rundown though, as it's been a few years. Korean I could help you with, but my Japanese is rusty.

On 21/05/2016 at 6:37 PM, Gringosteve said:

Did you get chance to ask your mate?

www.tuned.org.uk

Sorry dude, completely forgot, and he's not in today, I'll try to remember tomorrow!