Sign in to follow this  
Captain G

Red Wheel Nuts

Top quality forged aluminium wheel nuts are fine but also cost quite a bit.

If your not happy spending £50 plus on forged aluminium wheel nuts then steel is the best option.

I bought some cheap alloy wheel nuts for my AE86 from Driftworks. Only £30. They are anodised. This has come off incredibly easily. On the other hand, I have steel Rays wheel nuts for my GT, which came in around £80 once I'd got them over from Japan. They've been subject to an airgun on many occasions. They've taken it rather well. So it's really a matter of you get what you pay for. 

I have some Rays duraluminum nuts and these are wearing incredibly well - they're available in red too. I've also had cheapy steel and aluminium nuts in various colours and they've all chipped and worn fairly badly to a greater or lesser extent.

The TPI nuts are decent for a reasonable price. The main thing is having them forged for strength but also a thick anodized layer for chip resistance. These have 3 layer of hard anodizing:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=1288&g=272493&p=272661&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Wheel%20Nuts%20&%20Bolts&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2sO3BRD49-zdzfb8iLwBEiQAFZgZfJak8ok5fZXeBtS3un4Jf0GEePkkBLuLdsn58_n5gpAaAgnf8P8HAQ

If you want 4 locking nuts in the kit, price goes up to about £80

I have a set of red steel works nuts for my 86 and will be fitted racing works wheels nuts in alloy once I have them . Both bought from Driftworks