Herbie86

Auto- trans. Don't be a jerk. Try SNOW mode.

I love our auto transmission but find normal taking off a little too sudden to be smooth unless I try hard.
Knowing SNOW mode eliminates first gear and  forces second I tried it.  Voila!  It pulls away strongly and smoothly. ...hills or the flat, gentle pedal or booting it. No sign of struggle.
It works with the cruise control and VSC Sport (which I normally use) but not Sport so I am leaving it in SNOW mode all the time.
If anyone knows of a downside, please share.

I wondered about that but thought the torque converter, which ,as I understand it, is fluid i.e. no mechanical contact to wear.

HOWEVER, on another forum I was advised there ARE clutches involved that would wear more.

Therefore I will stop the routine use of SNOW mode.   

Maybe the accelerator can be re-mapped ? 

Brilliant.   Did you have it done for the "pulling away reason" or did you reap the benefit as a side effect.   Please elaborate if you know the details.  

16 hours ago, Herbie86 said:

I wondered about that but thought the torque converter, which ,as I understand it, is fluid i.e. no mechanical contact to wear.

HOWEVER, on another forum I was advised there ARE clutches involved that would wear more.

Therefore I will stop the routine use of SNOW mode.   

Maybe the accelerator can be re-mapped ? 

No clutches on the torque converter - they are in the autotrans box.

If you are having issues with 'snatch' on your autotrans you should take it back to your dealer.

You should not have to use 'snow' mode to provide a seamless takeoff, it is an issue. So address it with your Toyo dealer before thinking about remapping accelerator responses.

(Unless you have replaced your autotrans with the SSP upgrade . .)

Spec K

There's nothing wrong I am confident of that. It is just that take off is a little like a JUMP off unless I consciously feed in throttle. It is not a big deal. I am sure that if you compare the modes you will know exactly what I'm on about. 

19 hours ago, Herbie86 said:

Brilliant.   Did you have it done for the "pulling away reason" or did you reap the benefit as a side effect.   Please elaborate if you know the details.  

I can't really explain it very well,but since Fensport has remapped the car,it just pulls away so smoothly through the gears :)

Before I had to hit the Sport Button if I wanted to overtake,but now I don't have to B)

Anyway am very happy with what they have done :P

9 hours ago, Herbie86 said:

There's nothing wrong I am confident of that. It is just that take off is a little like a JUMP off unless I consciously feed in throttle. It is not a big deal. I am sure that if you compare the modes you will know exactly what I'm on about. 

A little jump on initial take off suggests the fluid isn't running at the right level so the pressure can't build up straight away.

I had an auto box for a test drive once (Not a GT86) and it done this little blip forward about 10 seconds after engaging drive. Turned out it was due to fluid not being full after a service. As far as I have experienced and when I test drove an Auto it seemed pretty seamless to me.