Sign in to follow this  
Lauren

Gig review: The Libertines @Birmingham NIA

I was so looking forward to this as I was absolutely gutted I didn't see The Libertines, the first time round. 

The band kicked off with some tracks from their new album, 'Anthems for Doomed Youth' (which to be fair is a good album with good lyrics and is nicely played). They had this feeling to me at least of never quite sounding tight enough in their sound. It was almost like Pete Docherty with his obvious talent, beautiful voice and real skill with the guitar, didn't quite give it his all. I found this a tad frustrating and fair enough, his amp packed up a couple of times, leading him to have a lie down during one track whilst the roadies sorted it out. 

There were as ever, some flashes of genius, but it was never sustained. So whilst they were good and my friend commented that they were better than he thought they would be, they never hit those surreal moments when you fully get that you are hearing something just so very special. When I've been to see Johnny Marr for example, the moment he launches into the riff for Big Mouth Strikes Again is a real heart in the mouth moment. Ditto with Suede and when they just waste everyone with Animal Nitrate. 

I also found it a bit of a shame that they had no interaction with the crowd really. There was no banter, vociferous one liners, which people like Morrissey are so famed for. It was almost as if they were a bit distant at times, just playing and not really engaging with the crowd. I think this took something away from it. Hearing some of the old stuff was good, but as other's have pointed out, the ommission of 'The Ha, Ha Wall' borders on the criminal. That said, Pete came on with an acoutic guitar and started singing Babyshambles classic, Albion, before flipping half way through into 'Music when the lights go out', and then returning back to playing Albion again. 

Bit odd that Pete launched his guitar right across the stage at the end, which was only just caught by the roadie, lest it would have impaled him otherwise! Overall it was good, but it was not amazing and I was not blown away like I so was the first time I saw Suede live, or Johnny Marr just everytime I see him. 

A big thanks to Mike for sorting out the tickets and for being good company. :)

24549450762_91e15d95c7_c.jpgCar paid off! :) by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

24371674600_28441f6033_c.jpgCar paid off! :) by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

To see the Libertines you HAVE to be in the standing section and in a small venue. I also never got to see the full band the first time round and went to see them at Alexandra Palace last year and was very disappointed.

Well, I went with Mike who is in a wheelchair so we were tied to where we had to be position wise. I too dislike arena events which is why I generally go to much smaller gigs. I'm seeing Suede at the Manchester Albert Hall next Tuesday which is far more intimate.