Herbie86

Wheels Magazine Car of The Year 2016 Mazda MX-5

The scribes of Wheels Magazine (Australia) and other magazines all seem to like the handling feel of the Mazda MX-5 saying, in various ways, the rear rolls somewhat and it turns in sharply.

Since changing the tyre pressures of out GTS86 some time back to 38 front 34 rear I feel I have achieved similar. I can more readily distinguish between what the rear and front are doing and it feels more chuckable. There's a roundabout I go through which required me to move my hands on the wheel but now a quick twist left and right and away I go. It doesn't feel harder at the front either, just sharper.

I still prefer the '86 for the hard roof, rear seats and adjustable steering wheel, but reckon I have the best of both worlds now.

Give it a go and tell me I'm wrong.

I've sadly only test drove the 1.5l MX5 and wasn't overly impressed, it was alright but there were a lot of niggles with the interior etc and just felt really really gutless.  Have been meaning to try a 2.0l but just to see the difference, no interest at all in getting an MX5.

I think in regard to turn in, it's really rather more to do with geo setup than anything. Else after changing my geo settings significantly, I've got no understeer and a much better turn in than the car was as stock, not that it was poor though anyway. 

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

I think in regard to turn in, it's really rather more to do with geo setup than anything. Else after changing my geo settings significantly, I've got no understeer and a much better turn in than the car was as stock, not that it was poor though anyway. 

I am sure you are right and I was looking into geo setup but then I thought I would try the tyre-pressure idea and it worked adequately for me with no tyre wear consequences either after around 6,000 km. Our tyres wear absolutely evenly and the best of any car we have ever owned and no wheel alignment has been necessary so far (33,000 km) 

In terms of tyre wear I seem to see 7K miles out of the rears and I will guess at nearly three times longer for the fronts. They wear evenly, but the rears just get killed it seems. 

One thing I've noticed is that it's VERY quick to lock a wheel under braking. I've never had a car before that troubles the ABS in normal quickish road driving. Don't really mind - you get used to it, but all that slithering round probably does little to help tyre wear.

Interested to see what it's like when I get the Yokohamas on...