MangoNo5

Engine bay cleaning

Hi All,

I want to clean my engine bay up and I have never done anything like this before so wanted to know if anyone had tips or a guide? There are also a few spots of rust, is there something I can use to clean these spots up and protect?

Thanks

Personally I would steer away from using any form of steam cleaner/pressure washer in the engine bay. Any small droplets of water that may find themselves getting into a electrical plug could cause havoc at a later date or straight away

@nikndel-  That is my big fear too, I have bought the Autoglym engine and machine cleaner, but not sure on the best approach.

@Mark-in-Stoke I'll have a look at this ACF 50, cheers

Follow this guide and you can't go wrong.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/caring-for-modern-engines.html

ACF 50 is a protectant not a cleaner. It may shift the gunk but you'll still have to use a degreaser to get rid of it all.

Well it cleaned mine up and protected it all in one go, so happy here!. Not saying it couldn't be better because it could, but in the time i took it came up fine

No criticism mate. Mine was really bad due to the previous owner, it was baked on and full of dirt.

I wanted it stripped bare and a fresh start. Even now it needs another go to get rid of it all.

I then used the ACF50 at the end to protect some of the metal bits.

I think it's safe to say yours probably came out cleaner than mine. I gave mine a 45min quickie and it came out ok, your's sounds like it had the proper job done. Probably the difference between a car valet and a car detail.

what d'you think of the ACF50?

I think it's safe to say yours probably came out cleaner than mine. I gave mine a 45min quickie and it came out ok, your's sounds like it had the proper job done. Probably the difference between a car valet and a car detail.

what d'you think of the ACF50?

I've never used it before until I got this car. It seems to work well. It's invisible and I've not seen any sign of corrosion which you can't ask for more really.

I want to get the car up on a ramp at some stage and do the underneath of the car.

On 2 December 2015 at 12:51:34, Foulsmell said:

Follow this guide and you can't go wrong.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/caring-for-modern-engines.html

ACF 50 is a protectant not a cleaner. It may shift the gunk but you'll still have to use a degreaser to get rid of it all.

Cheers, I'll give this a whirl!