MannyBains93

Hello

Hi all, looking to purchase a GT86 used in the next few days.  Test drove one last week and coming from a Fiat Punto for a second car, feels like plenty of power to me.  I was contemplating the base cayman 987 however with it being an older car and outside warranty, general running costs have slightly put me off, plus i prefer the looks of the GT86.  I would like to know how you feel the GT86 compares to the base Cayman as its really hard to find one to test drive.  Any input would be helpful.  Thanks Manny.

Welcome to the forum.

I love the Cayman too hence my blue GT86 is currently up for sale.  However I am getting cold feet about giving up the balance of the Toyota 5 year warranty and taking on a Porsche with eye watering servicing and repair costs.

The latest Cayman is brilliant. I drove the base car with PDK about 300 miles through Germany & France. Very efficient & bloody quick.

Makes a great sound too & can take plenty of luggage.

I don't think it has the fun factor of the 86 though.

Yeah I agree the new caymans are a joy to drive but out of my price range.  I plan to keep the car for 2-3 years, with the issues with the IMS bearings just feels like too much of a risk, would prefer the 987.2 but hopefully after a couple of years with depreciation it'll be the same price as the 987s now.  Depreciation would be another thing to consider, what do you think the GT86 will be worth in 2017 when warranties begin to expire? Thanks Manny.

I think they will hold their value quite well. There are 2 2012 BRZs on Auto Trader and the first BRZs only had a 3 year warranty. They are selling for £17k and £18.5k which makes depreciation no more than 30%, which is pretty good over 3 years.

I don't think the warranty expiration is going to depreciate it any quicker. It's a solid car really and yes there have been issues but they are very minor imo. Nothing costly anyway.