Sign in to follow this  

Ohlins has changed the '86 kit..

I was today made aware of a change to the GT86/BRZ kit from Ohlins.

It now comes with no top mounts and has much softer springs at 40N/mm front and 30N/mm in the rear. It's obviously reduced the price drastically.

Anybody have any idea what it'll ride like? I'm assuming they've revalved the shocks to suit so the old and new kits will be entirely different?

Like a magic carpet could be true?? It's certainly a massive step softer from the 6/6 Kg.mm they supplied in their MI20 kit. Who knows, it may work well on road and Track??

I always thought there were two Ohlins R&T kits for the GT86/BRZ. SUS MI20 with 6kg springs and SUS MP20 with the softer springs. Is this not the case?

Those spring rates are terrible.

Edited by GT86Owner

The MI20 are valved for + or - 30% spring variation around 6Kg, so they will be reshimed to adjust the damping range.

It will obviously be softer. 6kg is soft already for track use.

Edited by GT86Owner

Basically, this is what has happened...

After my issues with Ohlins dire packaging causing my kit to get damaged in transit they offered to replace it. So... I asked, "If I buy a new kit, will they allow me a big discount if I keep my existing kit"? They have agreed to this and Apex have tried to get me the kit. Apparently, the MI20 kit is no longer available??

I guess the general consensus is, don't bother with the new kit??

I am guessing they will be nice and comfy and very compliant, which, if correctly damped, should work?? I must admit, I find the stock car very harsh and bouncy at the same time??

The new kit retails at £1715 inc.

Yeap Partsbox have been sellnig the MI20 for ~£1700 without top mounts.

Thats a real shame. I was hoping they would be cheaper so I could revalve them for 8kg springs....

The stock car has too much rebound damping at the front which makes it crashy on rough surfaces but very nice for the track.

Edited by GT86Owner

Yeap Partsbox have been sellnig the MI20 for ~£1700 without top mounts.

Thats a real shame. I was hoping they would be cheaper so I could revalve them for 8kg springs....

The stock car has too much rebound damping at the front which makes it crashy on rough surfaces but very nice for the track.

When you say, "I could revalve them", do you mean it is a DIY job with some special tools??

Great news for me!!! I asked Apex to search all avenues for an MI20 kit.. they came up trumps.

So, I will now have Ohlins on both my cars. Might go for the revalve option on the project car and fit some heavier springs?