Quickclicknick

Android Auto DAB head unit - Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB?

I have had a quick search of Android Auto integrated apps and Tom Tom isn't one of them.

If I launch Android Auto on my phone and touch 'Browse compatible apps' it takes me to Play Store.  FWIW the main ones are Tunein Radio, Player FM Podcast, Spotify Music, EvolveSMS, WeChat and IRCCloud and of course the Google suite of apps which are natively integrated.

I think in Apples case they've deliberately disallowed competing nav apps on CarPlay thus far. So that's CarPlay out as I might as well use a 1952 AA road atlas as rely on Apple Maps.

Thus can't be bothered with all singing all dancing phone integration. Bluetooth phone and iPod integration will do, and I'll go with 'native' nav, either the Sony/TomTom solution or that Alpine

I think in Apples case they've deliberately disallowed competing nav apps on CarPlay thus far. So that's CarPlay out as I might as well use a 1952 AA road atlas as rely on Apple Maps.

Annoyingly the one thing my Windows phone from work does really well is nav. Doesn't even need a data connection... But NOTHING integrates with Windows mobiles. :-D

Thus can't be bothered with all singing all dancing phone integration. Bluetooth phone and iPod integration will do, and I'll go with 'native' nav, either the Sony/TomTom solution or that Alpine

Yeah, I think at the moment it comes down to either sticking with Toyota nav if that's what people have. It's okay, but the screen resolution is poor. Or going with aftermarket nav, whatever is the on the head unit. 

I've got an Alpine INE 925R with iGo Primo 2 software (whatever that is!). 

I've had it for 2.5 years. I've recently updated the maps too for €40 which isn't too bad. 

I used Tom Tom on my iPhone before I had sat nav integrated with the traffic updates. I think the Tom Tom traffic is excellent. My Alpine nav does know about traffic as well using the FM thing to receive information. Is it as good? Well, nearly. Sometimes it's great at re-routing, other's less so, but so is the Tom Tom. So six of one and half a dozen of the other. I think comparing mine with the Toyota T&G I would take the Alpine nav any day. In fact it's head and shoulders above the Toyota unit in everyway, but obviously at £800 you'd hope so really. 

I've managed 70,000 miles now with the Alpine unit, including three Euro trips and twice round the Alps. I like it. 

The cool feature on the Alpine that the other units don't have is the split screen thing where you can see the nav instructions AND what the music/phone is doing.

Was watching an old top gear last night where Clarkson pointed out the obvious flaw with modern integrated touch screens in cars (BMW in this case I think) - in that you're driving along, go to change your air con, and then miss your junction cause the nav screen disappears...

Why I've stuck with my Neanderthal stuck-to-the-windscreen TomTom all these years...