Sign in to follow this  
trashy

Project Mu brake pads - long term test?

Thinking about getting some Project Mu HC800 pads for the BRZ.  Mostly road use with a couple of track days per year.

Has anyone used them for an extended period of time and can comment on cold bite, dusting, noise, etc?

I had some Carbotech XP8s on my Mx5 and they were fine for a few days after each track day but then got progressively noisier at low speed stops - just want to check that the HC800s won't be the same!

I've gone through a set of the HC800+ on the front.

They are excellent pads for track. I used standard dot 5.1 fluid and it took a 25-30minute session to boil the fluid, but no fade though.

They will squeel like a dying pigs though after a few light stops. XP10 is a closer match to the HC800.

I had them nicely bedded in and had no squeal. I drove 150 motorway miles to oulton park. By the time I got there all four wheels where very loud on light braking. I kinda like rolling up to a track like that! #because racecar! not so much if you need to pop to the supermarket though!

Cold bite is okay. As long as you know you will need to apply a bit more pressure until they have some heat into them, and by heat I mean a couple medium stops for a round about, it doesn't take much. This could be worse in the winter.

They were more dusty than stock pads, roughly equivalent to DS2500.

They lasted me two track days (350 miles) and about 1000 road miles. I now have the Project Mu Clubracers (Hendy can custom order them if you want) in the hope I will get more than two track days out of them!

I like long sessions, if I stuck to 10-15 minute sessions i'd probably get a couple more track days out of them. People in the US get anywhere between 2-5 track days out of these pads. I did have excess pad coumpounts on the disc after snetterton 300 which is the sign the pad is at its max working temp. Stock primacys at the time too.

Cosworth trackmaster might be an option. Supposedly better than the DS3000! or the streetmaster, which are somewhere between the DS2500 and HC800 in terms of heat capability.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.  As I suspected, it looks like HC800 are going to be too noisy on the road for me :(

BTW, Axxis Ultimates work really well for both road and track on my Mx5 so perhaps I'm looking for something more like these.

Thanks for the tip on the Cosworth Streetmaster - will look at these too.

I simply wouldn't expect/require from track pads quiet work. It's not their main function/reason they are bought for, so even if they squeel ..

Simply choose your main priorities, noise or performance, and get pads according to them. If you want both, simply do pad swaps between daily driving & track days.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.  As I suspected, it looks like HC800 are going to be too noisy on the road for me :(

BTW, Axxis Ultimates work really well for both road and track on my Mx5 so perhaps I'm looking for something more like these.

Thanks for the tip on the Cosworth Streetmaster - will look at these too.

Performance friction are popular as are EBC.

yellowstuff might be worth a try. Cheap compare to project mu

http://www.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/toyota-gt86-20-20122013-ebc-front-yellowstuff-brake-pads-dp41884r_p23523335.htm

Another thing to mention, I have found brake bias on the stock gt/brz is pretty good. I have messed a bit with moving the bais around with different pads and found the best feeling setup to be same compount front and back. I didnt record lap times but too much front just made the brakes overheat quicker, too much rear made it unstable into corners. This was on the primacies so could be different on the AD08R.